how do i get my 8 month old to fall asleep on his own?

my 8 month old still has to be rocked to sleep. he sleepas on his stomach and he cant sleep on his back. so how do i get him to learn how to fall asleep without rolling over????

countrymommy617

Asked by countrymommy617 at 10:29 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you put him in his crib and let him cry himself to sleep..
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 10:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Do it gradually. Maybe try putting him in his crib for naps first. When he starts getting tired just lay him down. He might fuss but just assure him that your there, maybe try singing to him. Leave the room for a little while. If he starts crying historically I would pick him up but if he's just fussing he'll eventually fall asleep. For the rolling over part maybe put blankets pushed up on the sides of him. Is there a medical reason for him not being able to sleep on his back or does he just not like to?
    Anonymous

• Okay... my son will only sleep on his tummy and i was also worried, but i found out. the risk of sids is much lower. once they can roll over it's okay for them to sleep that way, because if they can't breathe they can move their head or whatever is causing that. so it's okay to sleep on their tummys by now.
    as for sleeping on his own. you'll have to endure a lot of screaming in the beginning. and it's soooo hard to deal with. but when he is used to it, it's totally worth it.
    just lay him in his crib, and let him cry himself to sleep. for the first few days though. go in there every 15 minutes and comfort him, talk to him, pat his back, but do not pick him up. he'll get it.

good luck.
    RenaJean

Answer by RenaJean at 11:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• No, you don't let him cry, it DOES NOT teach them to sleep. It teaches them that you are not to be trusted. (And then 13 years down the line you'll wonder why they never talk to you...leaving them to cry lblows an important part of the bonding process.)

Pick up a copy of "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. But know that your child is normal as they come...it's the very rare baby who doesn't need to be rocked/nursed. soothed to sleep. Self-soothing is a skill they learn when they're ready...and most are NOT ready before the first birthday.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:25 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I believe in letting the child decide when their ready. My daughter was held and rocked to sleep untill she turned a year old. Every once in a while we would put her in her crib to go to sleep just to see what she would do and usually she would fuss and we would pick her up. Out of the clear blue sky one night I put her down in her crib and she stuck her fingers in her mouth, rolled on her side and went to sleep. All on her own and every night since then. I do not believe in CIO and would never let her scream and letting her adjust to things in her time is much easier for her as well as everyone else.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:55 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My son's the same age and at bedtime, I still nurse him until he's almost asleep, then pick him up and rock with him (standing) for a few minutes before putting him down in his crib. He's not completely out when I lay him down, but he's verrry drowsy and almost asleep. When he's tired for naps, my husband or I usually rock him on our shoulders before laying him down, so he goes down peacefully. We've only had a few rare occurrences where we left him alone and he just fell asleep on his own, no crying. Most of the time he still needs a little help. But it has been a gradual process of his becoming more "sleep independent". Just a couple of months ago, it took a lot more work. We figure eventually he'll be able to do it on his own...hopefully before he's 18! ;-)
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 1:27 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Also, I wouldn't worry if your son rolls to his tummy...definitely don't wake him up getting him onto his back! At 8 months, they can usually roll over both ways, so they're going to move around in their sleep. They can move their heads so that they can breathe. I would just avoid putting blankets, pillows, etc., in the crib. Also, one possible side benefit of him sleeping on his tummy is that some babies sleep better that way. :)
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 1:32 AM on Feb. 9, 2009