how much, first time mom, nervous!

i had my baby on feb 4th, hes been eating 2 ozs every 3 hrs, but today hes been especially hungry. he was doing 2 ozs every 2 hrs. he keeps everything down, and has normal bowel movements. im thinking about starting 3 ozs and seeing how long that will keep him happy. is it too much? i probably sound stupid, but i have no idea how much to feed until when, or what is normal. what if he keeps wanting to eat every 2 hrs, just stick to that? any advice would be appreciated, thank you so much!

walkthisway522

Asked by walkthisway522 at 10:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You might as well know now....babies are the biggest experiment there is!!! lol Everything is trial and error with them. If one thing doesn't work, try something else. Just because it worked for your sister (or in law) doesn't mean it's going to work or will be right for your baby.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:52 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• to be honest i breastfeed but if they are hungry i let them eat i don't think it should be a certain amount if the want's 2 oz or 5 oz he may be going through a growth spurt or just needs more to satisfy him. i don't think you should worry how often or how much as long as he is getting enough, babys don't need diets so if he is hungry let him have it

setliff

Answer by setliff at 10:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• as long as he's hungry and is keeping it down feed him as much as wants as often as he wants it.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• My baby was taking 3 to 4 oz every 2 hours when he was that little. I breastfed too but i also pumped and thats how much he would take. I say if hes hungry then let him have it and dont worry....unless of corse he starts spitting it all up or something
    AmandaDenise26

Answer by AmandaDenise26 at 10:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• thanks, thats what i thought i should do, but babies are hard work! : )
    walkthisway522

Answer by walkthisway522 at 10:49 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• my son is 11 weeks and is on 6 oz ND HE STILL WANTS TO EAT EVER 2 HRS
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 10:49 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• It's worth trying. It might give you an extra hour between feedings. If he just wants to go 2oz ever two hours, you only lost a few ounces of formula.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 10:50 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I would go for 4 ounces right now. Also, take a nipple, and squeeze it, and use a knife, and cut a slit in it, to make the opening bigger, go buy some baby cereal, and put about half an ounce in with the formula. It will make it thicker, and fill his tummy up and will keep him fuller and content for longer. I did it with mine at about 5 days old. He would wake up every three hours during the night wanting to eat. When I started the cereal thing, he would sleep for six to seven hours at a time.
    KingLandon

Answer by KingLandon at 11:01 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• definattely give him how ever much he wants when he wants! i mean think of it this way.. sometimes you want to chug a glass of water coz your so thirsty, and sometimes you only want a sip... sometimes you want a huge sandwich, sometimes you only want a granola bar, right?? he may be really hungry, or just peckish... or growth spurt.. just adjust to his needs and you'll both be fine! :)
    sweetmama8

Answer by sweetmama8 at 11:02 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• my daughter was the same way. i thought that she was eating too much or too little. i was like geeeez, shes eating alot. but really 2oz isnt that much for 2hrs. let him eat as much as he wants. he is probably going thru a growth spurt. i felt like my dd was going thru one every other day. as of today, shes 5 months old and at a very healthy weight..good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Feb. 9, 2009