Daycare State ratios... reasonable or no. What do you think?

I have been working in a Montessori School for a week now. I have learned all about state ratios of child to teachers because the school I am at is VERY careful to follow all state regulations. My room is always under ratio we have less student sin our class than we *could* legally have. Here are the ratios as set by the state. My room has 2 teachers and 10-13 one and two year olds. We could have 16. IMO I am GLAD we are under ratio. It is a lot of work to keep 13 toddlers safe between the two of us. Even with a super structured day! I think the ratios are a bit high for the under 4 groups...

6 weeks (1:6) Maximum Group Size 12
12 months (1:8) Maximum Group Size 16
24 months (1:10) Maximum Group Size 20
3 years (1:15) Maximum Group Size 30
4 years (1:18) Maximum Group Size 36
5 years (1:20) Maximum Group Size 40
6 years (1:25) Maximum Group Size 50
7 years (1:25) Maximum Group Size 50
8-9 years (1:25) Maximum Group Size 50
10 years or older (1:25) Maximum Group Size 50

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 7:16 PM on Oct. 4, 2012 in General Parenting

• Thats about where my state is. I'mn sorry 6 tiny babies to one person??? I rather shoot myself. Even on the 2 yr olds, ten 2 yr old old at once most if not all going through that terrible 2s stage, that is enough to send any one 6 ft under
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 7:20 PM on Oct. 4, 2012

• Wow, that is a lot of kids. I work at an in home daycare. The ratios are much smaller. I think she can have 2 kids under 1. 10 kids maximum with 2 teachers.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2012

• I have worked in a few daycares and the last one I worked at I was always over ratio, especially in the afternoons. I had twenty 18 month olds to 4 year olds. After voicing my concerns with the owner/director, I quit and called the state agency. Anyways, I do think that Georgia's ratios are not very realistic.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:42 PM on Oct. 4, 2012

• I am thankful for the structure Montessori offers.... with out a strict routine I am sure these kids could walk all over us!!
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 7:51 PM on Oct. 4, 2012

• Just curious, did you take special classes to be accepted by the montessori system to work there?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:00 PM on Oct. 4, 2012

• The on-campus daycare I worked at while I was in school had different ratios.

Infant (6 weeks-one year AND walking well): 1:4
    Waddler (1-2 years): 1:7
    Toddler (2-3 years): 1:7
    Preschool (3-4 years) 1:10
    Pre-K (5 and not in school yet): 1:10

There were usually a maximum of two teachers in the room; a lead and the assistant. All rooms had a waiting list constantly.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:36 PM on Oct. 4, 2012

• In creches here the ratio for the 2.5 months to 4 years is

1:5 for children not walking
    1:8 for children who can walk

Plus one for creches that have more than 40 children.

Thes figures do not include the manager and her/his aide.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:42 AM on Oct. 5, 2012

• Here the ratio is :
    Infant (6 weeks-one year AND walking well): 1:3
    Waddler (1-2 years): 1:4
    Toddler (2-3 years): 1:4
    Preschool (3-4 years) 1:5
    Pre-K (5 and not in school yet): 1:6
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 6:38 AM on Oct. 5, 2012

• No classes for me. I am not a lead. If I wanted to be a lead I would have to be certified by the state but that is any child care facility not just Montessori. There are a lot of regulations outside of the state's that I have to adhere to though. Certain activities and routines that have to be followed including independent and group play, encouraging independence, working with each child on their individual level as well as encouraging table manners ( such as no one eating until everyone is served and saying thank you when served) and good clean up routines.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 1:04 PM on Oct. 6, 2012