Cemetery landscape/decorating ideas

Hello ladies. My grandparent's family plot is looking a lil rundown and I want to take my kids to help me get it looking respectable for a family project this weekend but funds are almost on the zero side. I have an idea using some river rock which I can go get free at the river but I was wondering if any of you crafty moms knows of anything neat I could do with young children to get the family plot looking respectable again. It would have to be low maintenence as we don't get out there often enough to do watering. Thanks in advance.

teardrop_7060

Asked by teardrop_7060 at 1:43 AM on Oct. 5, 2012 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Well that was rude staci. Why not go try to make it look good? Is she supposed to let it look like shit just because she can't afford something extravagant?

I don't have any ideas I'm sorry I just couldn't stomach that comment and had to say something. I think if you could figure out a way to make the river rock work it would be beautiful. Kind of like a zen garden or something :)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on Oct. 5, 2012

• How about making a small, scented rockery? Use plants like thyme, rosemary and lavender because they don't cost much and they survive very well without water (all 3 are native to the scrublands around here that can go for MONTHS without water).
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 9:20 AM on Oct. 5, 2012

• I once made a dream catcher out of inexpensive twine and fabric butterflies and flowers - perhaps you could use a coated/plastic thin rope or fishing line and plastic beads/crystals, trinkets. I'm not sure if that sounds weird to you but I think a dreamcatcher would be a completely appropriate gravesite decoration, and it would be low maintenance, inexpensive, homemade and personal.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:37 AM on Oct. 5, 2012

• I am not sure how respectful a frugal crafty project is for a grave... might want to wait til funds are at more than zero?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:11 AM on Oct. 5, 2012

• Thanks Anon. It's ok. People have the right to say what they want and I don't take it so personally anymore. My grandparents were more concerned with giving from the heart and the homemade stuff we gave them more than they cared about something we could pick up off a shelf and just put our name on. So even if I had $1000 to walk in and hand a professional landscaper, I would still chose to do this for them with my kids and find a way to honor the life they lived of simple pleasures. I was only posting to see if anyone cared to share some sort of craft or design that they discovered that I might be able to consider attempting myself. But thans again for the support on the matter :)
    teardrop_7060

Comment by teardrop_7060 (original poster) at 5:43 AM on Oct. 5, 2012

• Thank you for the ideas ladies. Yeah we live in AZ and our city is in drought and the city has the water trned off at the cemetery except for certain times twice a week so anything plant related would have to be ok without water for a while :/ And I do know how to make dreamcatchers :) The river rock is I guess called something else cuz my cousin thought I meant pebbles and he said it's called sand stone. It's flat(ish) differnt brown tones swirled in. I need to get more of it to finish what I was gonna do with it but I can probably incorporate all of these ideas together :) You have all been sweet. Thank you.
    teardrop_7060

Comment by teardrop_7060 (original poster) at 3:45 AM on Oct. 6, 2012