Is it necessary to have a full bladder for ultrasound

my son is high in my uterus and the doctor told me to drink enough water for the vaginal and abdominal if not we wont see the baby it will be invisible....gosh is it necessary lol its painful and u be having to use the bathroom when your bladder is complete full lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 AM on Oct. 5, 2012 in Pregnancy

• They will not do the test if you do not have a full bladder. On post they will check your bladder first if it's not full they will reschedule you.

Answer by louise2 at 7:26 AM on Oct. 5, 2012

• Nope. Doctors don't know anything. Do whatever you want.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:57 AM on Oct. 5, 2012

• I didn't have to have a full bladder when I was expecting my twins ... and that was ten years ago.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 8:15 AM on Oct. 5, 2012

• My OB actually made me pee just before the u/s to make sure my bladder was empty.
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 8:19 AM on Oct. 5, 2012

• If they tell you to have a full bladder, it is because it helps them see things that they couldn't see without the full bladder. IF they do not tell you to have a full bladder, you do not have to
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:24 AM on Oct. 5, 2012

• It is important to have a full bladder. I had a long drive to one of mine, and I drank water on the way, but not enough, they couldn't see well enough, and made me sit in the waiting room and drink more, and wait until they could squeeze me back in.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:42 AM on Oct. 5, 2012

• What adnilm said...if they told you to have a full bladder, its best to go in with a full bladder.

I've never been told to have a full bladder for US, though, and they've seen things just fine. It could be a number of things like different equipment, different person looking, different pregnant person, etc. They will allow you to go pee if they decide it isn't necessary for your bladder to be full.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• They always make me pee BEFORE an ultrasound....
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 9:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2012