Is this good news?

The unemployment rate dropped from 8.1 to 7.8? The lowest since Jan 2009. Slow but recovering. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Oct. 5, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Of course it's good news. I'm not sure we are recovering but a drop in unemployment is always good news
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 9:48 AM on Oct. 5, 2012

• The rates don't include those who have given up or are "underemployed". Plus, 0.02% isn't much.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:48 AM on Oct. 5, 2012

• I usually don't pay much attention to U-3 numbers. Participation rate is also going down which sort of counteracts that buzz from the UE rate drop. Not to mention that the U-6 number is still over 14%. This was actually predictable, IMO.

This explains a fair amount of what accounts for those numbers. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:52 AM on Oct. 5, 2012

• In the article I linked it states:

Joblessness fell most among teenagers, declining to 23.7 percent last month from 24.6 percent.

I'm not sure how many jobs from the 114,000 that accounts for.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:55 AM on Oct. 5, 2012

• I think people have given up looking. If so done isn't collecting unemployment how are they tracked. I think the unemployment rate in Michigan is much higher than stated.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:30 AM on Oct. 5, 2012

• Companies are starting to pick up seasonal workers. That's good, but not permanent.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:03 AM on Oct. 5, 2012

• It is encouraging. I wouldn't be so dismissive of "seasonal employment" because many of them become permanent positions --if the employee is a hard worker and professional and they need to increase their staff.Any drop in unemployment is good. At least its not a big increase. In my state hiring is increasing and unemployment is below 6%, I think 5.8%.
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 11:36 AM on Oct. 5, 2012

• No we are heading into the holidays. I will bet those are temporary jobs. I hope for better but I doubt that is what it is.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:11 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• Well it is changing but alot of damage has been done. From a balanced budget and 4% unemployment to disaster Thank you Preseident Bush!
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 2:30 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• It took 8 years for Bush to make the mess, I'll give Obama 8 years to get us out of it!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Oct. 5, 2012