breastfeeding...solids...

still nursing my 6mo old all the time, i've tried starting him on rice cereal.. sometimes he likes it, sometimes not... is it ok to start him on veggies when he doesn't completly like rice yet?? i'm thinking i should just wait, but i've been told to go ahead and start him on other solids, but i'm nervous to introduce that too soon... help? oh and his weight is great, he's 20lbs 6oz... dunno if that makes a difference??

sweetmama8

Asked by sweetmama8 at 11:09 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my girl wouldn't touch rice cereal. i started her out on veggies and she done great. now i can mix milk and fruits in with her cereal in the mornings and she loves it. at 6 months it's not too early just do the whole wait a couple days in between new food thing. it's ok if they don't eat rice cereal, that is just something that is recommended to get them started. blan food.
    setliff

Answer by setliff at 11:12 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Wait...your milk is all she really needs till she's at least one...starting solids after 6 months is just for practice and to learn the skills.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:16 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I started my son on solids at 5 1/2 months. it's more about when he is ready. try giving him 1 thing 3 times in a row just in case he's allergic. then something else 3 times in a row.
    my son hated rice cereal. he scruntched his face before we even put it in his mouth. but he loves fruits and veggies and his body is handling it very nicely.
    RenaJean

Answer by RenaJean at 11:21 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• you could try mixing the rice cereal in with veggies. That's what we do and she loves it.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 11:22 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• You know your baby best. If you don't want to give solids then dont. Sounds like he's growing just fine without it at this point. I delayed solids with my last 2 children until they were nearly a year old. Solids before a year is all about learning textures and such. Breastmilk or formula is all your baby needs until at least a year of age
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 11:37 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Rice cereal is bland and not all kiddos like it. You can certainly try other foods, just make sure you give 3-4 days in between to ensure that there's no food allergy.
    babyjakesmama

Answer by babyjakesmama at 11:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Oh and we loved mixing veggies with rice cereal to thicken it and fruit with oatmeal. Then he loved it!
    babyjakesmama

Answer by babyjakesmama at 11:43 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Honestly rice cereal sucks! Have you tasted it? lol Introduce him to veggies or fruit. Mixing them is a great idea.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:22 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Start her on solids - if you wait too long she may reject food all together. My best friend is going through this right now with her son who is a year old this month and is not growing because he is refussing to eat foods and is not getting enough calories. She is still getting what she needs from the breastmilk now - but you want her to try other foods to get used to them so she will be able to make the switch to solids later.

Val1313

Answer by Val1313 at 9:27 AM on Feb. 9, 2009