What do you think about this? Almost-Eagle Scout denied award because he is gay

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/04/14224160-almost-eagle-scout-denied-award-because-he-is-gay?lite

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 11:53 AM on Oct. 5, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Discrimination, plain & simple.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:22 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• My son told his best friends mom that he won't join Boy Scouts because they don't like gay people ( aft she invited him to a pack meeting). She was floored by it. I am so proud of him for standing what is right. And they were dead wrong to not give him the award.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 11:56 AM on Oct. 5, 2012

• I'm not reading the article (short on time), but I think it sucks that he isn't getting what he earned.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:58 AM on Oct. 5, 2012

• what really sucks about this is the guy came out in July and has continued working towards his Eagle Scout award..so his BSA leader KNEW he was gay and kept allowing him to do the hard work required of an Eagle Scout. WTF? if the leader knew he wouldnt give the kid his award then he should have said something the minute that kid came out.

unfortunately there are ppl claiming the boy & his family are doing this only to make BSA look bad...cause they knew he was gay back when he started boy scouts at age 6...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• Remind me to mention this next time someone on here goes on another rant about how the BSA don't enforce that rule and don't care if anyone is gay.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:51 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• So it's not OK to be gay in their eyes, but it's perfectly acceptable to have sex offenders be troop leaders?! Wow! BSA needs to reevaluate their priorities!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:25 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• I have no problem whatsoever with the BSA making and enforcing their own rules. All private organizations are allowed to do so, and the BSA should not be made an exception.

That being said, in this case they were wrong to allow this young man to continue to work for the rank when they had no intention of giving it to him. Given the rules, Ryan should have known that he would be ineligible after coming out ~ but that should have been made clear by his scout master.

I don't think that BSA 'owes' him the badge ~ but they absolutely owe him an apology for accepting his contributions in bad faith. Lying and deceit are also against BSA rules, and a leader that can't practice what he teaches/preaches is worthless (unlike Ryan who was truthful and obviously competent at being a scout).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:44 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• Horrible, sad and disgusting. I had always had such high praise for BSA and my family has had a lot of history with them, but their recent affimation of their anti gay policy has changed my view of them completly. I will not allow any child of mine to be involved with the BSA becasue they condesendingly discriminate.
    As hard as that poor boy work I think he should just cut his losses and move on. Why would he want any kind of recognition from any group that refuses to accept him for who he is.
    Shame on Boy Scouts of America.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 6:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2012