Our 8 year old still wants to sleep with us at night, how can we get him outta this?

MamaKitty5

Asked by MamaKitty5 at 11:17 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Is he still sleeping in bed with you? Our daughter use to want to sleep with us we would get a fold out mat and make her a little bed on the floor in our room. I have 4 year old twins who still sleep with me. I figure its not going to last forever..right???

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 11:21 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• My 5 year old girl loves to sleep with us. I have her earn 7 sticks in 7 days then she can sleep in my room. She usually falls to sleep on my bed then my husband will move her down the floor for the rest of the night.
    magle

Answer by magle at 11:39 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Is it every night? If not, just leave him be. My kids are 10, 8, 7, 5 and almost 2. My youngest still sleeps with us. The others are more than welcome to visit every once in a while for bad dreams, upset tummies and just a good old cuddle if needed.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:40 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• If it is a problem, try making a pallet on the floor next to your bed. Eventually he will go to his own bed. I had to do that with all my kids. I have health issues and it is imperative that I sleep properly. So, I had to kick my kids out but still make sure they understood they were welcome as long as they didn't wake me. Sometimes all three kids would be crammed in on my side of the bed on the floor with thier pillows and blankets. :) I don't care, just so long as they were comfy.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:32 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• 8 is probably a little old for him to be sleeping there every night. Maybe he is having nightmares? There has to be a reason he doesn't like to sleep alone. Get a night light maybe. Sit down and talk to him. Parents need to have their own time. For my husband and I letting our kids sleep with us all the time takes away from cuddling/talking time. Your relationship with your SO is important too. You need to be a wife/gf too. You also need your privacy. He needs to understand that.
    ajbrownies

Answer by ajbrownies at 11:08 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I would come up with a reward system - something he can have in the morning if he sleeps in his own bed all night - good luck
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:59 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• its not every night, but yes he either sleeps in the bed with us or his brother. his mom lets him the week they're with her so we're having issues.. you've all given me some great suggestions and i thank you for that. i am going to try getting him to sleep in the floor... i'll keep you posted.. but thanks for all your help.
    MamaKitty5

Answer by MamaKitty5 at 10:36 PM on Feb. 11, 2009