Attached 2yr old!!!

My son 22mths used to not cuddle, kiss, or hug and then one day he started up again:-) but ever sense i brought my 3mth old home he won't let me do anything w/ out being stuck to my leg or in my arms...is it a fase or something i need to stop???

tick2012

Asked by tick2012 at 3:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's sibling rivalry and a fear of losing you. He needs to be reassured that you still love him and are not replacing him with the new baby.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:51 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• It's called sibling rivalry or sibling jealousy and will last their entire lives.

The best you can do, right now, is make sure you plan a LOT of time that is just Mommy & Me for the 2 year old. He will start to accept the baby, but needs a LOT of reassurance from you and Dad. In his eyes, someone else has come to take his place in the family.

Maybe talk to AF4Life, she's got two that are about the same age difference as yours.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• Give him the extra love he needs. He feels threatened from the baby.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:14 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• Totally normal. Just try to be understanding. You have the ability to feel exactly what he is experiencing... think about it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:51 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• Maybe he is jealous of the new baby. I would always get my older child to be a helper with the baby. Take him to do something only big boys can do to reward him for being such a good helper.
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 5:54 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• It's probably a little jealousy over the new baby which is completely normal.
    JennieMarie1103

Answer by JennieMarie1103 at 10:15 PM on Oct. 6, 2012