Lice....I'm going insane...how long is this going to last?

Last saturday we treated my DD (5) for lice since we found both lice and nits in her hair. We've since found lice for a couple days after that and eggs everyday since then. It's only been a week but I feel like I can't hug my DD or cuddle with her and she can't touch anyone else. I used to lay down with her every night and I can't do that now or I'll get them! (DH is a nurse that's checked my hair about 3 times and has found nothing).
Everyday I can't tell you how many times I vacume, change sheets, and We've gone through a 116 load bucket of detergent cleaning clothing and bedding in hot water just within the last week!
I'm going insane, I feel like we can't go anywhere or have anyone over because of the "SHAME" of having lice. I feel so dirty and I feel like if I even touch my hair with clean hands I'm going to get it too. It's breaking my heart to not be able to be close to my DD. We have 3 boys too that don't understand so they're all over her at times and I have to pull them away.

When will it end? We're supposed to give the second treatment on day 9 which will be Monday but I'm so done. I can't stand this anymore! :( Any encouragement? Advice? This is a nightmare!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2012 in Kids' Health

• Hopefu;; you have treated all the clothes and bedding and surface and all the people in the house. If you keep following insturctions 45 days.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• I think you are doing all you can do. I don't really understand why you have to wait so long to do the second treatment. My granddaughter had them not too long ago, and they didn't have to wait that long. Maybe you could call your doctor and ask if you could do it sooner!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• I called the nurse that is on call at our kids peds office and she said 7-10days until you do the second treatment. I'm freaking out OCD style over here but I feel like it's not enough and she's going to be stuck with bugs in her hair forever. The school across the street which is her elementary is apparently notorious for lice (great).

@Dardenella....are you kidding? 45 days? The little girl that has been coming to our home who gave it to her (or so her mom thinks) wants to come over and still have my DD over and I'm freaked about that too!

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• My friend's daughter got them and she got this lice shampoo from CVS or Walgreens. She would wash her hair everyday and brushed her hair with fine toothed comb (it came in the box). She was clean in a week!
    Also you might want to seal her toys especially her fuzzy stuffed animals in air tight bags for a week or so. If by any chance any lice has crawlled over it, it will die
    Good luck !
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 5:00 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• The treatment only kills the live bugs, the eggs/nits have to removed one by one which is a real pain. The combs help but you have to make sure her hair is nit free or they will come back. Treat her hairbrush, jackets, hats, bedding and the household furniture as well as the car.. Place all of her stuffed animals in tightly sealed bags for 2 weeks.. I feel your pain, I have two girls.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:14 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• Here is what you do Get a nit comb. Get some alcohol and a tall sealable bottle.
    Wash your daughter's hair and scalp and rewash again. Rinse very well. Comb out the hair and dry it thoroughly picking out evey nit and disposing of it. Now the hair and scarlp are dry. Blow dry the hair section by section for a total of 30 minutes. be sure to enclose the comb in the jar of alcohol. If you wash her hair in the morning you will do this next at nigh before bed or the other way around. Next before bed you will again comb the hair looking for nits and eggs. Blow dry the DRY hair 30 minutes section by section .
    If her hair is longer you will spend additional time. After 30 you can reduce it to one 30 minutes session on dry hair.
    Lice are mistly water. You want to dry them out before thy can lay eggs.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:23 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• Goggle Fairy tales lice prevention and treatment, put all of the stuffed animals in a bag for 2 weeks,, lice can only live without a source for 48 hours, (BTW) lice prefer clean places,, most likely she is getting re-infected at school, so start her on the prevention program after your second treatment.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:40 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• Don't bother with the laundry and vacuuming so much. Lice can't live off a human head. Just put a lot of conditioner in her hair every bath or so, and comb through with a metal lice comb while in thew bath. If she isn't itching, she doesn't have lice anymore. Buy tea tree oil and add to shampoos, conditioner and spray in detangler.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:06 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• I had to keep combing with a lice comb and conditioner for months. They kept coming back.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:08 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• I'm a nurse in a daycare. I ask parents to please use the nit comb every single day for a month. I know the instructions on the shampoo ask for a second shampoo in a week, and so I do go for that. But if you think you still have live lice after that, you may actually need a prescription shampoo.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:47 PM on Oct. 5, 2012