extreme nipple beelding...

I was nursing my little girl tonight and she was kind of fussing (not too unusual if her attention is on something else) and when I looked down there was blood ALL over her face and shirt and all over me.

I freaked out! Then I saw that my nipple was bleeding (like gushing) it looks like it was just a crack in the nipple, but it didn't hurt at all. It stopped bleeding soon after I put a paper towel on it.

Is my dd going to be okay even if she swallowed a significant amount of blood? (I know a little will just pass through their system).

And what do I do tomorrow when she wakes up and wants to eat off both sides?

What happens if a start bleeding again and she can't eat from that side (and I wouldn't be able to pump because blood would get in that milk too).

Would I just have to p and d and would she get enough food from only one side? Thanks for any help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i have no idea how to answer this question because my nipples never cracked. i think tomorrow morning you should definitely call a your doctor or the babies doctor. or you could call a breastfeeding consoltant.

so much luck to you.
    RenaJean

Answer by RenaJean at 11:29 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• well, i think you should contact a lactation specialist, coz it shouldn't be gushing like that. also, go to your pharmacy and ask your pharmisist for 'bag balm' its great stuff and will help anything. my nipples crack like that all the time, it really helps!
    sweetmama8

Answer by sweetmama8 at 11:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• This happened to me. Your daughter will be fine. If she does get a large amount of blood, she may spit up some, but I mean LARGE amount. Use nipple shields. They look silly under your bra, but they keep everything from touching your nipples until they heal. You could always pump and dump on that side if you are worried about her swallowing blood...i had to do this because i got mastitis on one side. But keep trying to nurse her if you can (I know the pain can be horrible sometimes), or don't have access to good electric pump. Also, at the hospital that you delivered at, do they have lactation consultants? You could call them for better advice. I think I was still having to call mine with questions when my daughter was 6 months old. I had terrible nipple problems with my daughter, but it wasn't long, and we got thru them. Good luck.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 11:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• As far as nipple shields go....I used this kind. But there are others. They just kinda let the air flow to your cracked nipples and don't let you bra or breast pad touch them...that way if you have a scab, nothing will pull it off...well besides the baby.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 11:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• holy cow, i've had cracked nipples and that hurt like heck i couldnt imagine how it wouldnt hurt if they were bleeding!!!!!!!!!!!!!owwowowowowow!gosh i'm sorry i dont know what to recommend! my mom probably would of told to put bag balm on as well, just wash it off before you nurse, or maybe even some triple antibiotic cream, just make sure to put it on after she nurses and wash it off very good before. what happend??? did she bit you!
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 12:23 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• No she was being gentle as normal. I haven't had a cracked nipple since she was born, but I seriously just looked down and there was blood everywhere!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My DS preferred one side over the other and always got enough to eat.
    I'd put some lanolin on the side that is cracked and let it heal. You body will compensate and you're LO will get enough to eat.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 12:48 AM on Feb. 9, 2009