Study: Teen Drunk Driving Down Due To High Gas Prices

Friend of mine posted this on fb, and it started an interesting argument:

ATLANTA (CBS Atlanta) – A new study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that drunk driving among U.S. teens declined over the past two decades due to new laws and higher gas prices.

The report suggests that as a result of higher gas prices, teens spend less time behind the wheel of a car.

According to the study, 22 percent of high school students admitted to driving after drinking in 1991, while only 10 percent of high school students admitted to it in 2011.

The report also found that other factors have contributed to less teens driving while drunk. Compliance checks of retailers and the minimum age being 21 are two other factors helping to reduce teens getting behind the wheel after drinking.

“I chalk it up to serious concerted efforts to save lives,” Jan Withers, the national president of Mothers Against Drunk Driving, told Businessweek. “Parental involvement is also very important.”

The report found that male students were more likely to drink and drive than female students. It also found that boys 18 or older were most likely to drive after drinking, while 16-year old girls were least likely.

“As a parent of a teen I know that there’s nothing worse than having your child die tragically and preventably,” Thomas Frieden, the director of the CDC, said in a conference call to Businessweek. “Reducing drinking and driving is something we can all do.”

The report went on to say that the biggest way parents can help reduce the amount of drinking and driving is to get involved in community-based programs which will address the issue.

So the argument they're having - is this breeding a false sense of security, because they don't need cars to get drunk?  

(context, when we were in high school, there was a year or two stretch of far too many students at schools around us and our own being involved in drunk driving accidents - lots of injuries, and several funerals.  We all know that when they clamped down on the driving, it did nothing to slow down the drinking, and still resulted in quite a few cases of alcohol poisoning)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:40 PM on Oct. 5, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, I guess that's good, now if we could just keep them from texting & driving!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• possibly. i know i've encountered more parents (in my adult meanderings IRL and online) who are a-ok with supplying alcohol to their underage kids, and allowing it for other parents kids, because they 'are supervised' in someone's home/party, and not out driving a car.

makes sense to me...the false security part, not the illegal drinking/supplying to minors.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:44 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• Mmm, alcohol isn't cheap either, and because of the gas prices alcohol has gotten even more expensive. I'm not sure I believe this study is even accurate.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:03 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• Yep, they can't afford to drive so, they're just "drunk walking". Not to make light of it. This just reminds me of when I was a teen, meeting up at the park at night and getting trashed.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:08 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• See there is always a silver lining. lol now they are just sprawled all over the yards.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:12 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• Interesting.
    caito

Answer by caito at 11:14 PM on Oct. 5, 2012