Flu vaccine

Do you plan to get your child/children the flu vaccine?? If so, nasal spray or shot? I'm still undecided I have a 5 month old and a 2yr (on Halloween).

Jgreg

Asked by Jgreg at 6:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2012 in General Parenting

• No my son has never had it.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• No way. Never have, never will.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 6:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• last year our old pediatrician gave my firstborn son a flu shot without even asking and he got 103 temp fever

Jgreg

Comment by Jgreg (original poster) at 6:36 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• I have gotten the flu shot myself since the swine flu of the 1970s....my son never gotten one (he's 21 now)....I don't remember it being recommended or anything when he was little. That being said, I'm a pedi nurse and I strongly believe in them. I know, my own kid didn't....but if I had a LO now, I would do it.
    The year of the bird flu, since there was no one with any immunity to it....in my daycare 9 kids ended up on vents with pneumonia caused by flu. I never want that to happen to another child. They all recovered fine. Your infant would need the shot, I think . The 2 yr old could have the nasal spray, but in my experience kids seem MORE afraid of that nasal one. I think they think someone is giving them a shot IN their nose.
    In my understanding, the more vaccines, the better the immunity. Ask your doc about the 2 yr olds' reaction last year. The fact they gave it without your consent is a concern. PM me. :)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:42 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• Nope, never. I've heard a lot of people say they got really ill after it and my Dh ends up with double bronchial pneumonia if he gets one.
    The nasal spray one is live virus.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 6:43 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• My 5 yr old had her flu shot this week. It was the nasal version. She gets it every year. The only year she didn't have it she almost died. Not a chance I'm willing to take.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 6:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• Meriana, they don't give nasal spray to young children for that reason. Yes both of my children will be given a flu shot. They go to day care and I don't need them getting sick there. My daughter had no reaction to it last year.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:07 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• My 2 older kids will get the mist. DS2 and I have medical conditions that will not allow us to get the mist, so we have to have the shot. DH gets whatever. I am a severe asthmatic, so we all get vaccinated against the flu. The 2 times in the past 15 years that we have not, we have gotten the flu. Last time it was H1N1 and DS1 was sick for 2 weeks. It was just awful.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:23 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• No, I never do.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2012

• Meriana, they don't give nasal spray to young children for that reason. Yes both of my children will be given a flu shot. They go to day care and I don't need them getting sick there. My daughter had no reaction to it last year. Answer by AF4life
    ----------------------------
    I and my kids haven't had any vaccinations due to a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with Wakfield, McCarthy or anyone elses opinion. My Dh was told never to get another flu shot after he twice came down with double bronchial pneumonia within 24 hours of getting it.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:55 PM on Oct. 5, 2012