Chronic poison oak infection- please help!!

I have several chronic medical conditions which lowers my immune systems ability to deal with things... I am on my second go-round with poison oak this winter. It travels through my blood stream and pops out wherever. I cannot take any of the common medicines such as Benadryl or anything related to it- they aggravate Restless Legs Syndrome and I have a hard enough time sleeping with the itchiness as it is... Any suggestions will be most helpful, keeping in mind that I am an all-natural girl as much as possible... THANK YOU

mtnmama111

Asked by mtnmama111 at 11:58 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Health

• Manzanita leaves- crushed with a little water and applied either directly to skin or dabbing on with a paper towel. Also- tea tree oil face wash- by Desert Essence, and then follow up while still in shower with Neutrogena Body Butter Wash- very moisturizing and soothing. Lastly- I followed up with Avalon Organics Face Cream- used it hands, neck and forearms too- with Lavender. Helped the redness go away much quicker.
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 10:59 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• best advise would be to avoid the poison oak :)

what about calamine lotion?

witch hazel would dry it up quickly though if you are looking for natural remedies. witch hazel can be found at your local pharmacy, normally with the acne medicines. it's a liquid, not a cream BTW. If you can't locate it on your own, ask an associate to help you find it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Calamine makes me nauseous, but witch hazel helps somewhat.
    I get the poison oak when we go to cut wood- it is the only source of heat in our house and we live in the mountains- it is storming right now. We would be very cold if I hadn't gone out and cut wood last week and therefore got re-exposed to the poison oak.
    Thanks for the ideas.My tea tree oil face wash has also helped.
    The main problem is that it just keeps popping out everywhere and making me miserable!
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 12:46 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Try looking into homeopathy for it. I know that catnip can help as well.
    http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/homeopathic.html
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:11 AM on Feb. 9, 2009