Need help for birthday

I have two daughters. They will be ten in a week or so. One wants to invite her best friends (3 of them) to a "party". The other has 2 best friends neither of whom IMO will be able to come (one through lack of transport - we're in another town - the other because she suffers from brittle bones and her mother is unlikely to want to let her come). OK, so far so good. Wht on earth does one do for birthday games (do you even do games?) for ten year olds? I'm at a loss. I'm not very good with kids to start with ... I need advice, suggestions, anything that might help me. I don't even kow where to start...

Last time we did a party they were both still at the same school and there were lots of kids. Given that there will only be 5 or 6 of them, I'm seriously thinking about doing an organized birthday at the local bowling alley.

winterglow

Asked by winterglow at 6:40 AM on Oct. 6, 2012 in General Parenting

• Oh, even better, dance party. How about they do each other's hair and make up and then act like rock stars and dancers while playing Just Dance. LOL. DD recently went to a party where they were doing karaoke and they were supposed to dress up like rock stars. DD had me make her hair purple with some wash out spray (the kind you would use for Halloween) and dressed up with trendy rocker clothes. They all had funky hair and make up and had a great time. She came home with a couple of inflatable microphones. I'm gathering it was a really good time.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:16 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• I'm always to have a party at home. It seems like too much work and i'd be a nervous wreck. How about taking them out to lunch and a movie? Or get them mani's and pedis and lunch.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:36 AM on Oct. 6, 2012

• If you are home, you can watch a movie like Freaky Friday or Dolphin Tale and make your own sundaes.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:37 AM on Oct. 6, 2012

• Have you thought about contacting a Mary Kay or something like that and see if she will demonstrate good skin care?. I know ours will demo massages (facial) and she will come to like a girl scout meeting. Naturally you would want to meet with her, before hand. If she is a friend even better. I am concerned about the other daughter. How will she feel if there are her sister's friends but not of her own. Won't she feel left out? Is there any way you could do the transportation if necessary.
    This is the first time I have encountered twins with seperate schools and seperate friends. They are usually at least friendly with the other girls. Another idea is the pottery places that have the pots all ready to paint.. Ours is next to the DQ
    You could go to the park and grill hot dogs.
    My daughter's friends always loved to come and decorate cookies. That wasn't just for parties though.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:10 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• Go out to eat, a movie, corn maze/pumpkin patch, Build a Bear, etc. If you're staying home, have arts/crafts. They have a ton of jewelry making kits, like friendship bracelets & kits for designing your own name plate for their rooms. If you have the WII, rent a game that at least 2 can play at a time. Or even the dance games where they all could do them. If the parents are OK w/ it, let them do their own nails. They can give ea. other makeovers. :) My dau is 10 & at this age, they can keep themselves pretty busy. Have fun. :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:04 AM on Oct. 6, 2012

• we used to do pin the whatever on the whatever- I would make my own to go with the theme we were doing...
    also we'd do one where they had to follow clues to find the goodie bags -I'd make a series of clues and spread it around the house until they found them...
    I wouldn't go big on the games- just let them have fun-we usually had a movie planned as well
    you could also do something crafty...let them paint maks or something
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:47 AM on Oct. 6, 2012

• You can do a spa party at home and they can all give each other pedicures and manicures, you can find a craft kit to make lip gloss for all of them, buy some hair accessories and have them have fun styling each other's hair in crazy styles, or doing silly makeup.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:39 AM on Oct. 6, 2012

• Just dance will definitely keep them having fun. A great idea.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:40 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• You ladies are making me feel tons better! Thank you for taking the stress out of this!
    winterglow

Comment by winterglow (original poster) at 11:08 AM on Oct. 6, 2012

• Better and better!

One of my daughters is getting "Just dance 4" for the wii so I suppose that would be an option too! What do you think?
    winterglow

Comment by winterglow (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Oct. 6, 2012