Have you heard?

That the "stimulus" package they are preparing in Washington equals one million per day since the year zero?

Does that scare you? That doesn't even include any costs to actually run the country!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Don't worry, they still have to do the yearly appropriations bill and the other half of the TARP that they haven't doled out yet. It will be WAY more than million/day by the time summer is here.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:22 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I want Little Caesar's pizza ...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• LOL, anon 12:24. Me too! I got $3...you got $3? We can share!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• i'd like to know where all this money is coming from.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:17 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Couple ways to look at thisa...We will never have to deal with the repercussions of the 700bilion $ we are glibbly printing up, so why worry about it
    BUT I don't feel right laying this crap load of debt that "We The People" will never seeon my wonderful GRANDchildren's kids

One of my questions is this...Why on earth can't businesses fail? They have come and gone for hundreds of years and by and large the ones that have come behind are better, meeting more modern needs and are run with better business sense. If the car companies screw up, then one or more of those employees will figure out how to do it better and voila! better, safer, cheaper AMERICAN made cars!.
    I realize it's a bit scary looking out in a world that yur job may not exist in anymore, but we all, pulling together can keep each other afloat with out the help of government, just people to people. Come on , we can do this!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• OP-- And those figures don't account for several BILLION DOLLARS in additional INTEREST!!! Obama and company are creating quite the vicious cycle!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:28 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I agree that it is scary. But most every economist also says it's necessary.
    momtokate

Answer by momtokate at 9:24 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

Most of it is being borrowed from China. So don't forget the hundreds of thousands of dollars in interest we will be paying on the loan.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:27 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• any smart economist is against this package actually, the ones that aren't are mostlikely getting paid to be for it.
    “A stimulus package of this magnitude is likely to contain many projects that are poor investments.”
    ‐ Alan Viard,
    Resident Scholar, American Enterprise Institute
    “Government spending does not create incentives for labor, innovation and investment. Instead of
    spending $1 trillion in Washington, let Washington forgive $1 trillion in tax revenues to create incentives for
    millions of individuals and firms to get the economy going again, one dollar at a time.”
    ‐ Donald Luskin
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:23 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• “I have concerns about a stimulus spending bill. I think there are two criteria that may justify additional
    spending: 1. The spending passes a long-term cost-benefit test. That test may be less rigorous now that
    we are in a period of extremely low interest rates, but it should still be passed. 2. Alternatively, the
    spending can be implemented very quickly and will have a significant impact on employment. I highly
    doubt there are $1 trillion of new projects that meet one or both of these tests. I would rather see a
    temporary suspension of some or all of the payroll tax.”
    ‐ Philip Levy

“The only way Congress can spend money is to extract it from the private sector – either by taxing it,
    borrowing it, or seignorage. The question then becomes: will Congress spend that money more wisely than
    the private sector would have spent it? The answer appea
    xxhazeldovexx