I'd love to see my stepdaughters. Is this possible?

My oldest daughter's father had two other daughters, ages 11 and 7 and a half, who now reside apart from each other, with their maternal grandmother and one of her relatives or friends. The grandmother has steadfastly turned down any desire we have for visitation--ever. It also is likely that she does not have the girls' best interests at heart. Both parents are in various stages of recovery (or not) from substance abuse, so even though I am civil with my daughter's father, he may not be of much help for a long time. The 7-year-old is deaf (and has coclear implants). I have been learning ASL & AE for about 18 years. I am not sure of my legal rights, but I believe my daughter, who is 19, can fight for visitation. I have a free legal advice line that I am going to call soon. Is there anything else we can do to see these girls?

goldenruler

Asked by goldenruler at 12:17 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Adoption

• The issue with this is because the children are minors, it doesn't matter if they have siblings, the law stands behind who has custody and if the custodial guardian refuses visits, they are within their right to do so. Morally, they should be shot. Over-all, it sucks. They have the legal right, but not the moral right to deny the girls knowledge of their siblings. You can try to appeal to the grandmother and friend about visits, letting them know that the girls have a right to know of one another. What about the father? Why doesn't he fight for some form of visitation and then get the girls together?
    randi1978

Answer by randi1978 at 2:36 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• well, since they are your ex's kids and not related to you... they aren't your stepdaughters and you don't have any legal right to see them...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I dont think you understand what she is asking...these girls are HER daughter's half sisters. She might not have a right to see them but her daughter should be able to. I'm sorry I dont have any answers for you but just thought I would interject because it seems the person above me didnt get what you were asking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Def talk to legal aide about having your adult daughter fight for visits. But just as most states don't honor grandparent rights, they rarely honor siblings rights.
    randi1978

Answer by randi1978 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I do not know much about the situation, but I would assume a good lawyer would be your best start. Especially if you are concerned that that childrens well being is not placed first in the situation that they are currently in. Good luck for your daughter.
    IZs_mommy

Answer by IZs_mommy at 4:16 PM on Feb. 9, 2009