• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So my 9 month old was given some nuts n bolts....

I saw my MIL giving my daughter some cereal from the bag of nuts n bolts she was eating. When I said she can't have nuts she told me not to worry b/c she didn't give her the nuts!!!!!!!!! They were in the bag together and baked together! Am I wrong to not want my 9 month old to have things that have been in contact with nuts?!?!
She is fine, but I've never had to deal with anything relating to nuts and babies before, should I be looking for something or doing something?

 
AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 12:20 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 20 (8,472 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • I think any allergic reactions would have shown up almost immediately. No, you are absolutely not wrong. This is your child and she should respect that. Just keep an eye on her and if she seems to be having difficulty breathing or gets a runny nose out of the blue, take her to the ER. I'm sure she is fine, but I can understand why you would be worried.
    Rebecca7708

    Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:24 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

  • Just watch her closely for a reaction. Lately drs have been saying that holding off on the top allergens doesnt really help at all and may even make them worse. Obviously she shouldnt have nuts because its a choking hazzard but she should be fine. Usually reactions dont occur on the first exposure (unless youre breast feeding). Nut reactions are also usually very fast, if she were going to react she probably already would have.
    Chandra034

    Answer by Chandra034 at 12:26 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

  • You're right about cross contamination! That's why there are nut processing warnings on packages!

    My son doesn't have a problem with nuts, but he does with citrus fruits. You now those gummy snacks? I let him have one out of a package of blue berry ones...he had the same damn reaction to that ONE bite that he does if he has lemonade, orange juice or the fruit. Cross contamination....they're made in the same plant!
    TiccledBlue

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:57 AM on Feb. 9, 2009