when do you let your baby cry to sleep?

He is 4 months old teething and so fussy. I can tell he is fighting sleep and irritable because he is teething. Is it ok to lay him in his bed and let him cry himsef to sleep?

GIBOYS

Asked by GIBOYS at 12:21 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• id let him cry it out for 10 min. then go get him. keep trying that. it worked for my dd.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I did research on the CIO method and found that it is not reccomended for children under a year old...they just do not understand the concept of why no body cares if they cry. I would reccomend using the teething tablets..they worked great for my daughter. Other than that you could try baby orajel or even a little baby tylonol (if Dr ok's it)
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:27 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Hyland's teething tablets, instead. Leaving him to cry only teaches him, "Mommy doesn't care." Which isn't the message you want to send.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:28 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• use teething tabs! please dont let your baby cio, its so sad:( and it can be harmful, shes in pain and uncomfortable, maybe she has an ear infection, my son was acting similar and he did
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 12:37 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Never. Babies=sleeplessness, and they're only babies for a short amount of time.

CIO is cruel. Crying is babies only form of communication, and if they're crying, they need something whether it be food, or just a cuddle. CIO does send the message that nobody cares, and will just desensitize them, and make them MORE dependent in later years.

Try teething tablets, or if he seems to be in pain, give him a little bit of tylenol. Good Luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 1:01 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Yeah thats how I feel. It breaks my heart to hear him cry even when I am trying to sooth him. I just remember some one telling me about a book that talked about getting your baby to sleep through the night at two months. I havn't done the teething tablets, I will try that appraoch.
    GIBOYS

Answer by GIBOYS at 1:18 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Never. It's dangerous!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• At 4 months it's pretty young to cry it out. I do believe that when there's nothing wrong - medically or otherwise that it's okay to let them cry for minutes at a time - I usually do 3-5 mintues - then go in and soothe and lay back down or whatever - but I didn't do this until my dd was a little older. I would try some tylenol if you think it's teething.

Good luck.
    Val1313

Answer by Val1313 at 9:24 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My daughter cio at around 4-5 weeks old, she was tired, I was UBER cranky and just wanted to do dishes, that's all I wanted to do. I kept going up, putting the paci in her mouth. It was out of nessesity at the time lol. Actually we never had a problem after that. But if your little one is teething, tha'ts a whole new ball game, they hurt. When my kids teethed I would give them motrin, I've heard that Hylands teething tablets work, I never tried them though
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:47 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I would never let my 6 month old CIO, if shes sitting in there fussing I will wait a min or two to see if she falls back to sleep, but I can also tell the diffrence in her cries. I used the CIO method with my oldest daughter but not until she was a year old. If need be I will do it with my youngest when she turns a year old but anything younger than a year they are usually crying for a legitimate reason, pain from teething, hunger, LOVE. Good luck in what ever you decide.
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 10:40 AM on Feb. 9, 2009