Need advice/help quitting smoking pot.

So I'm 34, I started smoking pot around 15, cigarettes as well. I was very addicted to cigarettes and was up to a pack of newports a day when I decided to quit at 21 as a New Years resolution. It was very hard but with patches and a lot of lolipops I managed and haven't touch a cigarette since. I still smoked pot though not as much and only at the end of the day. I don't think pot is a dangerous drug in the moment of being 'high' (as long as you're not driving or watching your kids) but I do think its bad for your lungs. Anyway my husband smokes as well but when he felt it was irritating his throat he just stopped. I have just stopped in the past as well but now I look forward to it at the end of the day and really haven't had any willpower to stop. I have two theories, one stemming from smoking cigarettes that I still have an oral fixation,.... the other is that I have more responsibilities now and its my way of escapism at the end of the day. If pot does not cause a physical addiction (a sore throat was enough incentive for my DH) have I become so physiologically addicted that I need to seek other methods other than my personal will?? .. and if so do you have any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Oct. 6, 2012 in Health

• here is why i quit...# it's not an addictive drug and anyone who says so is a moron.....i quit when dh and i started trying to have a baby, i didn't want to be smoking something illegal and risk my kids being taken away from me...now, if and when it becomes legal, i may start back,,,idk though i've been fine without it for 7 years
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:09 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• @josiesmommy.. I did quit when TTC, pregnant and BF. I also quit periodically before that but started back up after a vacation to Jamaica. It has been decriminalized in my state.  If I only smoked a couple of times a month as a treat it would be a non issue but at this rate I'm smoking almost every night.  I only take like 3 puffs but I do get high from that.  I feel that I can't have it as a treat because I just start up again.  I think they refer to pot addiction as the twinkie and sex addiction, you're not physically addicted but you like it.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• Yes, you can become psychologically addicted to pot, using it as a form of self-medication.

Think about what would happen if you got arrested for possession, there's incentive to quit.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:07 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• Or if not arrested, think about how the money you spend could go towards other things.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:09 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• You are an addict. See a therapist.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 2:30 PM on Oct. 7, 2012