Need advice/help quitting smoking pot.

So I'm 34, I started smoking pot around 15, cigarettes as well. I was very addicted to cigarettes and was up to a pack of newports a day when I decided to quit at 21 as a New Years resolution. It was very hard but with patches and a lot of lolipops I managed and haven't touch a cigarette since. I still smoked pot though not as much and only at the end of the day. I don't think pot is a dangerous drug in the moment of being 'high' (as long as you're not driving or watching your kids) but I do think its bad for your lungs. Anyway my husband smokes as well but when he felt it was irritating his throat he just stopped. I have just stopped in the past as well but now I look forward to it at the end of the day and really haven't had any willpower to stop. I have two theories, one stemming from smoking cigarettes that I still have an oral fixation,.... the other is that I have more responsibilities now and its my way of escapism at the end of the day. If pot does not cause a physical addiction (a sore throat was enough incentive for my DH) have I become so physiologically addicted that I need to seek other methods other than my personal will?? .. and if so do you have any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Oct. 6, 2012 in Health

• Sorry for you.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:36 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• I do want to quit for my health but it is something I enjoy. That is how I felt about cigarettes and I managed that.

Has anyone had a similar problem that can relate?

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• I do not have this problem, but my oldest brother does. Hes a pot smoker for over 30 years. He has tried to stop, the longest he said was 6 months, than started again. I believe he does not want to stop. He has no health issues just that nasty cough sounds like he is almost gaggin to death.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• If the only thing you are concerned about is the smoke doing damage to your health then what you really want is to turn your marijuana into an edible butter for baking or a tincture.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• (I do not use marijuana for anyone who could have thought that from my comment.)
    staciandababy

• @ Staci hadn't thought of something like that. Your idea though makes me realize its not just for my health. I see it as a crutch or a weakness, it's something I am ashamed of. The best way I can put it is how a dieter feels after eating chocolate cake.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• "The best way I can put it is how a dieter feels after eating chocolate cake." So, like any other drug addict who needs a fix, right? It's a drug, you are an addict. Get some help.
    Anonymous

• Find something else to look forward to at the end of the day, like a bath, or a book, or an orgasm.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• @anon There aren't exactly a lot of programs geared toward marijuana addiction because its usually not classified as a physical addiction. Also that kind of help would cost me a fortune. I'm asking for methods, books or other forms of guidance from people who have overcome or know someone who has overcome similar problems.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• Thank you PartyGal.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2012