Would You Buy A Used Or New Car?

I bought a used carTwice and soon after had to fix this and that and decided never again, bought a new car in 2003 it still runs, the one major issue during that time fuel pump went out, 1000 to fix it at the dealer which is more expensive. But is paid off and at over 190 thousand miles DH still uses it. Here are used cars not to buy mine is not in the list  http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_162-40541148/avoid-these-5-used-cars-plus-5-to-buy/  Netheir is my new car I bought last year.   What do you think?

mto3821

Asked by mto3821 at 1:20 PM on Oct. 6, 2012 in Shopping

• Nearly all of our cars have been new and they all last, on average, 13 years. We change them when they start to cost in maintenance. I have only had one used car and it was an utter waste of money. It all depends on how the car was treated before you got it. By buying new you can at least be sure that it is properly looked after, maintained, repaired ASAP, etc.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 1:36 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• A new car is the worst investment. It depreciates dramatically in value the second you sign the papers. I always buy cars 1-2 yrs old.  I would only buy new if I had money to burn.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• I have always bought used and they have all been good vehicles. My current one is at 200K miles and still going strong.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:21 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• We only buy used and only from a dealership we trust and have never had a problem. We've also stuck with the same brand.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 1:22 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• All the used cars I've bought held up pretty well. I guess if a bought a used lemon I might be more likely to buy new. In 2002 I bought a fully loaded 2000 Altima for 8,500. My DH still uses it as a commuting car and beats the hell out of it. Other than tires, brakes and oil changes haven't had any problems. I hate to say I love a Japanese car but it has more than paid for itself. To the patriots... I also have a 2004 Chevy avalanche that my DH bought new and I have to say it's been very dependable. 

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• I only buy used and they've always been great. But I've always had men around, first my stepdad and now my husband, that are very handy with cars. I let them check it out first and they can spot any obvious problems, and most not so obvious ones.

Answer by missanc at 2:39 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• We bought our car used from a dealership. It was 3 years old and very few miles done and there was a whole checkup done before we bought it. No problem so far.
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• We buy our cars used. We rarely have issues with them because my husband makes sure to inspect them thoroughly before we buy.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 7:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• Just because you buy it brand spanking new does not guarantee that it will be a good car. My sister, my parents and two really good friends have taken brand new cars back to the dealers because they were pieces of crap. We have only bought used and have had both good and bad luck with them.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:34 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• I have bought both and had good luck with both.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 2:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2012