I'm curious, do you threaten to spank your kids if they cry when they get hurt?

My 5yr old had a soccer game today. She took a hard blow to her chest from a ball today. She lost her wind and started crying. She began walking to me on the sidelines, and I told her to shake it off and go to her coach at the bench. That's the rules. I could see she would be fine, and in fact went back in 3mins later.

Well the mom sitting next to me said," you are waaaaay softer than me! If my daughter even starts acting like she is about to cry I tell her to zip it or I will beat her ass when we get home. She took a baseball to the eye and needed stitches. She started whining and the second I threatened to spank her, she stopped."

I looked this lady straight in the eye and told her there is no shame in crying when you are injured, as long as you get up, dust yourself off and get back out there. She had the nerve to tell me I am going to make her a sissy girl.

I picked my chair up and moved. It was either that or I was about to smack her! So, do you spank your kids if they cry over injuries? Am I the only one that thinks this is screwed up?

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 6, 2012 in General Parenting

• what the fuck is wrong with some parents???
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:49 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• That's insane!

I always hug & kiss boo-boos if needed. I would never dream of threatening my kids because they're upset over being hurt.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:50 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• Wow that's messed up!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:51 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• Why would I threaten to spank my kids for expressing their pain? There's a difference between expressing pain and whining. My 9 yr old still likes to do some kind of screech/squeal thing when he gets mad rather than say "stop" or "I'm mad!", and for that I have started to threaten discipline, because he is fully capable of speaking and expressing himself, he just likes to do the screech/squeal thing because he knows it hurts everyone's ears.

But if my kids are crying because they are hurt, that is not something to threaten a spanking over. That's just cruel.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:52 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• my youngest is 14 months old and if i spanked her everytime she got hurt and cried I would be spanking her a lot. My other girls are 7 and 4.5 and I have not and I will never spank them for crying from getting hurt. That is crazy
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• Only if she was goofing off after I've told her to stop whatever she was doing.. AND I would make sure she was okay before I yelled at her for not listening in the first place.
    Not for a sport accident, or any other accident for that matter. Psycho soccer moms take their shit way too serious I guess.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 3:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• This flabbergasted me! After the game I gave her daughter a huge hug. Think I will from now on when I see her. My GOD what goes on in her home life!
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• No.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:06 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• No!!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:07 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• My mom used to tell me if I didn't stop crying she'd give me something REAL to cry about (spanking). I have to admit she didn't follow through, but I always thought it was a terrible thing to say let alone do!

I didn't spank my kids anyway, it just wasn't for me, but what sense does it make to hurt a child for crying because they're hurt?

As long as they're not seriously hurt, if they brush themselves off and get back in the game, that's awesome!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2012