Must go in search of door knob covers.

Which ones work best? DD has moved from just locking doors, to opening them. I shall go on a quest today to find some, might have to venture off base for them, but I can't wait for shipping. I need them NOW, she is opening doors waking up her brother, and her dad, and getting into the bathroom. Ugh...

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 7:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2012 in General Parenting

• In that 2nd kind of scenario, she'd experience the frustration of her goal (when she meets with the knob cover) & you'd reinforce that she just needs to come get you when she wants in there/go out. And when she does, be available & responsive (the benefit is that you are there & get to be involved, rather than having to "discover" the results later when you realize she got into the room.) I wanted to reinforce that my boys didn't "have" to take matters into their own hands (by focusing on how to get THROUGH the impediment) when they wanted to go outside...they could come get me. Being responsive helped prevent significant frustration on their part, so they just got used to asking me rather than unlocking & opening the door, themselves.
    The times it's No (can't go out right now, or your situation with sleeping family members), then it'd be about meeting the need some other way, or validating & understanding the resulting upset.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:22 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

• I have used a couple of different kinds. They were effective. I recommend (if you have a choice) that you don't get the kind that you need to tie a string around. (We had to get knob covers for the first time when we were on vacation with our twins, the week they were turning 2. We had a beach cottage rental and they were fascinated with opening the front door; it was a very easy knob for them. My husband stopped by the hardware store in town & got a two-pack of the only knob covers they had, and they were a kind that used a string tightly tied to hold the plastic in place. ?!? They worked okay, certainly short-term like that, but the string was slippery & REALLY hard to pull/tie tightly enough...)

I have simple 2-piece plastic covers (that click together) on a few doors at home. You can "reinforce" the seam with duct tape if your little one is persistent & discovers they can be pulled apart.

Very low tech but effective.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 8:34 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• Until you are able to get the covers- here's a few that have bad reviews- a sock may work Frugal Child Proofing

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• I think the point of the doorknob covers that used the string was that they could be one-piece, which means a child couldn't pry them apart and remove them. It just slips over the knob, any size, and tying the string tightly keeps it from coming back off. Probably if you knot it securely it's fine. Those might actually work better than the 2-piece ones....I just found the string thing frustrating (not a good enough knot.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 8:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• I bought the ones Target sells
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:46 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• Well, I went today, the one place on base that sells them is closed until Tuesday. I can't wait that long, so it looks like we will be taking a trip to Seiyu tomorrow afternoon. Right now I have a baby gate on the outside of the door, but as my child is not only persistent, but smart as well, that is only a temporary fix.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 5:31 AM on Oct. 7, 2012

• Yes, when you have a child who is persistent & smart, and who ALSO feels "opposed" or challenged, any sort of "baby-proofing" is likely to be temporary or unsatisfactory. For me, reducing the sense of being adversaries was crucial. Otherwise, I'd have been in trouble with my kids!
    In this sense, part of responding to the problem is seeking to take the adversity out of it, or clarifying that it's not about mom-versus-toddler. So you're not just relying on the knob covers to say "No" for you & foil her new door-opening skills, but instead you're using the covers as an interim step or protection that lets you get there & intervene. If you do the former, she is likely to focus all her attention & efforts on dismantling the knob covers, or on getting through the roadblock (this is an adversarial dynamic.) With the second approach, she experiences you as being "on her side" so she isn't focused on doing things "in spite of" you.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:08 AM on Oct. 8, 2012