Getting baby to sleep later in morning by pushing back bedtime?

My 8 month old son is a pretty good sleeper and his natural bedtime for several months has been about 7:00 p.m. He still consistently wakes up, though, between 4:00 and 5:30 a.m. and won't go back down to sleep without nursing. My husband thought we should try pushing his bedtime back to 8:00 p.m. to make him sleep later in the morning. We've been doing it for several nights now, and the baby is still waking at the same time in the mornings. Has anyone else successfully tried to tweak a baby's wake-up time by changing the bedtime? I'm not sure it's working, but maybe we just haven't given it enough time.

Mamastheword

Asked by Mamastheword at 1:16 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Same thing happens with my son. No matter what time he goes to bed, he wakes up at the same time throughout the night.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:25 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• my son was exactly the same way and no it never worked for him. eventually he just started sleeping longer. hes 21 months now and goest to bed at 8 but is still up by 6:30. Occasionally i will let him stay up a little later in hopes that hell sleep later but he always gets up even earlier. I noticed he started sleeping a little later in the mornings when we eliminated one of his naps, but your son may still be too young for that.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:26 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I would put some back ground noise in his room. There may be something waking him at that time. Maybe the heater clicks on or a neighbor leaves for work. I use a small fan in my dds room that points towards the wall. Also, I used to wake my dd up before I went to bed and nurse her. I would make sure that no lights were on and there were no stimulations. That way, she wouldn't wake up so early because she was SOOO hungry. Kind of a night cap.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 2:25 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Changing the bedtime has NEVER worked in this house.

If you think he's waking specifically to nurse...first you have to figure out it he's really eating or if it's just habit and he's not really eating. If he's eating...feed him and hope it stops soon. If he's not...then let him wait for a bit before you feed him. Just 5 minutes. Then in a few days, make him wait another few minutes...5-10...pushing up the time in the morning. We had to do this with breakfast when the boys started waking earlier and were expecting to eat as soon as they woke up. (I was not happy giving breakfast at 6am lol)

So...just make him wait a little longer in the mornings. You'll eventually have it bumped up 30-60 minutes...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:02 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• my 8 month old goes to bed between 730 and 8pm but every morning is up by 530 has a bottle then back to sleep until 630....No matter what we do he still wakes early....
    I ask our ped about this you know what he said to me "welcome to parenthood" I broke out crying
    Just remember, an over tired baby will sleep less, so just make sure your little one is well rested, and hope that one say soon he will want to sleep in........
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 9:40 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• my son was an early riser, between 5:30 and 6:30, and it didn't matter WHAT time we put him to bed. So if we all had a late night, i was resigned to the fact that I would have a tired and cranky baby the next day lol. He did sleep through the night early on, so at least he would have that. But he needed at least 10 solid hours of sleep to be a happy baby lol. We never could change what time he woke up, he was such a creature of habbit lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:06 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• According to my mother in law, my husband was the same way as a child. And wouldn't you know it, he still gets up early no matter how late he goes to bed. lol. I think once he is a bit older you may be able to adjust his schedule a bit, but as an infant they pretty much set their own schedule. Enjoy it while you can, because you will miss it later. Good luck.
    tough_jewel

Answer by tough_jewel at 10:20 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Keep the same bedtime but work on getting him to sleep through the night. When he wakes wait a few minutes to see if he'll go back to sleep. If not, have your dh go in, cover him back up, tell him night night, and leave. This is what we do if my dd ever wakes in the middle of the night. My dh takes care of it because she expects to be nursed if I go in and she gets mad. But when he does it, it works like magic and she just goes right back to sleep. If your baby is waking at the same exact times every night it's more than likely just habit and his internal clock waking him.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 11:37 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• my daughter can go to bed at 1 am and still get up at 830 latwer bed times dont work here either if she goes to bed at 7 or 8 shes up at 530 6
    calandrasmommy

Answer by calandrasmommy at 12:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• In my experience, the later I put her to bed, the earlier she wakes up.
    jillmw

Answer by jillmw at 12:18 PM on Feb. 9, 2009