Should I buy my 2 yr old twins a toy/play kitchen?

looking at a step2 kitchen to buy the twins for their birthday. but not sure if it's worth it given it will take up some space. do most kids enjoy playing w/ the kitchen or it can be hit or miss? i'd like to think that it's usually a hit w/ toddlers/preschoolers and they'd play with it often enough...

What do you think - worth it?

The cost isn't an issue and we do have enough space - just don't want to buy it if they won't really play with it after the first few days of having it.

thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Oct. 6, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter had a little wooden red & white stove & refrigerator she loved it and played with it almost every day.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• Thanks for the great feedback! Will be getting it today!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:21 AM on Oct. 7, 2012

• Both of my sons love the play kitchen; they are 5 and 2.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 1:05 AM on Oct. 7, 2012

• Yes its a good buy for them.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:57 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• I think kitchen toys are totally worth it. My children all have loved play kitchens, from a young age.
    Our doctor's office has a small kitchen set in the waiting room. If you have a similar situation you might have the opportunity to "test out" your kiddos to see if they seem into it (in a church nursery, perhaps, or at a playgroup or maybe a children's room at the library?)
    But even without a test run, I think having some play food & a few kid-sized utensils & dishes is fun for any kid.

The big full "kitchen" may not be necessary.

We've gotten a lot of play mileage out of a couple of sturdy wooden tabletop pieces ("Alex" brand stove & sink, around $16-$20 each) combined with kid-sized accessories like a rolling pin, hand mixer (a little vintage toy from the 50s), wooden spoon, whisk, mini nested mixing bowls, a toy toaster, lots of Haba wooden play food, pots & pans. The one large piece we bought was a toy fridge (storage.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:45 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• yes
    iwicked

Answer by iwicked at 10:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• Yes! I have b/g twins and I bought a Step2 Dream Kitchen for their 2nd birthday. I think 2 is the perfect age to get one. My dd played with the kitchen every single day- she just loved it. It's great for imaginative play and you can buy all kinds of food and accessories to go with it. I think it's money well spent. They're 7 now and we still have it. My dd doesn't play with it all the time anymore but she's still not ready to part with it. I think it will be a hit with your twins.
    anonymous92

Answer by anonymous92 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• I think it's more hit or miss.. DD never played with hers and we wound up giving it away. DD's cousins love to play with theirs though.

Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 10:16 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• I say get it. For some reason toddlers LOVE kitchens!
    JennieMarie1103

Answer by JennieMarie1103 at 10:13 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• My kids have all enjoyed kitchens. My youngest especially (she's 2 now) will play with hers for long periods of time. I'm sure there are some kids that don't like them, but all 5 of mine (3 boys, 2 girls) have. I think it's worth it.

Answer by missanc at 10:09 PM on Oct. 6, 2012