When should we start preschool for our daughter?

My daughter is almost 2 1/2 and I am wondering when to start preschool. I am a stay at home mom, but watch a little boy my daughters age. We also do gymnastics every week, so she is getting interaction with kids her age. Is she ready for preschool?

monicabelle

Asked by monicabelle at 1:40 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if you area stay at home mom, i suggest waiting on preschool . i was a preschool teacher and 2 year olds can stay home and interact and go out with you!
    When you place them in preschool they get sick often . If they are prone to ear infections, preschools are a breeding ground for germs. When i had the two to three age group many did cry for mama. Why force it ? Your toddler is very young, i remember i started my daughter at 3 and she still got throat infections very often. My boy started at 3and a half( his pediatrician recommended after April) because in the winter months they get many colds that can lead to secondary ear infections. A greatt age i believe is 3/12 to four, try a school that goes only half a day, .if your still home. By kindergarten they are gone till 2 daily and will b gone all day until they graduate high school. Enjoy your child they are little a short time.. alina noval
    youmakemydreams

Answer by youmakemydreams at 3:29 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• my daughter started preschool when she was 3..i put her in it for the socialization aspect of it..because i dont know anyone with kids, so she had noone to ever play with..except me..and she absolutely LOVED it! she was only in 2 days a week (tuesdays and thursdays) from 9-1130am..so it wasnt toooo long, but it was enuff..and now shes in the 4 yr program and she goes every mon wed and fri from 9-1130..she wishes she could go all day everyday..but..lol..IM not ready for her to be gone that long!! LOL i think it has majotly helped her tho..and it prepares them for kindergarten..i mean theres gonna be some people that say no, its easier to teach the kids yourself..well..not me..lol..i have no patience for that sorta thing, and she wont sit long enuff for me to explain to her things..so..yaa..im all for preschool! its great! plus at mine every month they have party days at the end, and all us parents get to go watch them
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:31 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• sing songs, and they talk about everything they learned that month! its awesome! i get so excited for those days! lol so yaaaa i reccommend preschool!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:32 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Personally unless it's recommended she start by a doctor, therapist or someone like that, I wouldn't worry about it until she's closer to 4. Would it hurt to start her this early? No. Does she need to go? No.

That said....my oldest started just before he turned four, my second son started two days a week (2 1/2 hours) when he was 2 1/2 and my youngest is going to start one day a week at the end of this month (he's 2). However, the only reason I have them going is because it's been recommended by their therapists and doctors to help with their challenges.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:07 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My Daughter turned 4 in December and for her to start Pre-School in September 09 i had to to her application in for Febuary 6th. So when you do decide to apply for Pre-school look at the school website or call to find out when the application has to be in. I was shocked at how early it had to be in.
    Mommy2Rescue

Answer by Mommy2Rescue at 9:03 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I put my oldest son in Pre-K (age4) and it did him so much good. before that I won't think they need pre school. My younger 2 will also go to pre-k..... it is free and helps prepare them for kinder.
    mikeyjavimami21

Answer by mikeyjavimami21 at 12:06 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• personally I felt my son was ready for pre-school at 2 and half and he loves it. He needed that interaction with other kids and loves to do the messy play that we avoid.

notquiteMartha

Answer by notquiteMartha at 12:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• 3 or 4 the best is i think.
    __bbaaoo

Answer by __bbaaoo at 1:16 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• We are going to start Bella at 4, if we even send her to public schools. I am thinking of homeschooling her because we will be relocating frequently for my DH's work. As a SAHM, I can't even imagine sending her then, lol. She sees friends weekly now and goes places with us. We try to make most activities learning activities, so a figure that she is learning as much with me as she would at preschool.
    Mizzjos

Answer by Mizzjos at 2:26 PM on Feb. 9, 2009