Why do c-sections get such a bad reputation on the internet?

Ok I've had some negative comments in real life about being a c-section mom most of them made by people who were trying to make me feel better about having "major surgery".
But online get's weird with how many really excessively negative things certain women say about both the women who've had c-sections and the surgery in general.

Why? I mean ok some people are jerks and given the ability to be anonymous makes slightly more people jerks, I can understand that. But why c-sections? Considering that no one seems to be on here talking about the selfishness of knee replacements or unneeded tonsilectomies or talks about how dermatologists are just cut happy surgeons.
This isn't on here to be some kind of flame war I'm just honestly confused. Please no replies about if you can't handle it don't be on cafemom because all I'm saying is I'm confused why this would be so heated.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 10:51 PM on Oct. 6, 2012 in General Parenting

• It makes no difference to me. I had two.... Never had any issues. Both of mine were complete breezes!!!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• I have nothing negative to say about c-sections. If it weren't for c-sections my boys wouldn't be here.
    I wasn't able to give birth naturally.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:56 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• I also had two all of us are fine, and it was totally necessary . Saved are life for sure
    mto3821

Answer by mto3821 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• My doctor told me afterwards that if I had not of had the c-section, that both my son and I would have died. I don't care what anyone has to say about me having a c-section. My son's health is more important than their opinion.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• C-sections brought my children into the world.

I did have complications but any surgery carries that risk.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:06 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• I think on the internet people can say what they really feel.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:07 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• I am around a lot of birth conversations and don't generally see that, exactly. I do see it around infant feeding and circumcision though. The birth debates tend to involve personal preference/convenience over health & safety. I think that folks get upset about not putting safety first especially when a baby is involved.

Are cesareans more of a common issue than the other surgeries?
    Most cesareans are avoidable/unnecessary and the prevalence affects the outcome for others (as they become normalized and preferred by providers/others). That means that it can harm other moms.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:09 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• @midnightmoma Why do they feel like that though?
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 11:10 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• I had a c-section with my son and frankly I have to say that it's the ONLY way to go!! I had to have mine due to my BP was way high and they were concerned for us. At the time it was scary but looking back I wouldn't change a thing. If moms are out there bad mouthing it you just tell that, "at least I don't have a blown out vajayjay from having something the size of a melon pop out of it!!" hahaha I wouldn't stress it though. Everyone has their opinions and they are just that. As long as you are happy with it, other peoples comment shouldn't matter. :0)
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 11:14 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• I had a C-section as well. The doctor told the baby's dad that a hundred years ago, he would have had to look him in the eye and ask him which one to save, me or the baby. Either I would have pushed till I died from exhaustion, the doctor would have taken the baby piece by piece, or he would have had to cut me with no sure way to get me sewed up again and keep me free of infection long enough to heal.

That being said, there are a lot of wanna-be doulas and armchair midwives on the Internet who think they know how to deliver babies better than all of the obstetricians in the country. Their basic complaint is that the U.S. has a higher C-section rate and a higher infant mortality rate than most other developed countries. But they get on their soapbox and bash C-sections, acting like all of us who had them just wimped out or failed to connect to the mystic feminine birthing powers granted to us by our goddess grandmothers.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:15 PM on Oct. 6, 2012