Why does childbirth hurt so bad?

Is there a biological reason for that?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 11:17 PM on Oct. 6, 2012 in General Parenting

• Um, I would guess because you are passing a 6-12 lb baby out of your body through a small hole.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• To keep us from having too many I do not know.
    mto3821

Answer by mto3821 at 11:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• Couldn't nature have wired that differently? Like re engineering a stretchier vagina.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 11:20 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• Like re engineering a stretchier vagina.

But then sex wouldn't be as pleasurable.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:21 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• I wish mine was 6lbs even then no go try 10lbs
    mto3821

Answer by mto3821 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• There's no biological reason; it's a law of physics. Two objects--the baby's head and your pelvis--cannot occupy the same space at the same time. So by brute force, the bigger object--the baby's head--moves the protesting second object--your pelvis out of the way.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• mto3821, my son was nearly 12 lbs.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• I believe that it is because you are passing something through an openning that is normally way too small to accomodate the size. It has to stretch I large distance in a short period of time. At the same time the muscles around the uterus ar excersizing big time pushing onthe little person to get it to move down a passage that previously was designed to keep the baby in. It is serious work and serious stretching to tissues and your nerve endings seriously want you to know that this is a big deal and to pay attention. lol.
    The good news is that it is not so bad (usually) that you do not want to do it again. You usually make that decision several months later at least.
    Though I had C sections I went through to full dialation before we had to go to C section. You will do a great job.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:38 PM on Oct. 6, 2012

• Because Eve was bitch and ruined everything for the rest of us.
    Anonymous

• In all seriousness, I think part of the reason it hurts so bad is that we expect it to hurt. For our whole adult life, older moms are telling us their labor horror stories. By the time we make it to the delivery room ourselves, we have these fears running through our heads about how bad this is going to hurt, and we're scared to death. It would be interesting to know if anybody has ever compared our perceived pain levels in modern America to the perceived pain levels in a society where womenview birth as a matter of course, possibly unpleasant but nothing they can't handle. We expect it to hurt; it does. Then we tell others who come after us how much it hurt. Back then, women got through it and told others they could, too.

Truthfully, mine didn't hurt nearly as bad as I had feared it would. I didn't need much i the way of pain drugs, and I did all the dilating and pushing before we opted for a C-section.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:58 PM on Oct. 6, 2012