Potty Issues. Please help!!

My daughter goes to her dads sometimes on the weekends. He doesnt work on the potty training like I have been even though I brought it up in court and he is suppose to help. Every time she comes home from over there it is like we are at square one again and again. I dont know what to do. Also I believe that she keeps having poop problems. She gets a little constipated and only little bits of diarrhea comes out in her big girl panties. It keeps coming out in little bits all day long. I have tried absolutely everything that I can think of. Please help!

alldolledup2005

Asked by alldolledup2005 at 1:59 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Wow this is hard as you are not with her all the time and if he is not helping then you have a battle on your hands. As far as the poop issue goes, make her help you clean herself up...most kids don't like that at all and it will encourage her to use the toilet. How old is she? What does your ex say when you ask him to help? He is only hurting her.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:51 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• He and I do not get along at all. He says that he puts her on the potty but I can't believe that on account of when she comes home it like she doesn't remember to go there. She is 3 and I have been working on this for it seems like forever. I just hope that she starts to get it. She can't wait to go to school, so I have been telling her that if she wants to go to school one day that she needs to go to the potty all the time. It is just so hard when no one else wants to help her.
    alldolledup2005

Answer by alldolledup2005 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• The poop problem is bad constipation. It's not a little bit of diarrhea you are seeing, it's called encorpresis (also known as soiling) and is usually caused because the child is refusing to poop. When a child withholds their poop, eventually, a little bit squeezes out around the mass of poop that is blocking everything up. Eventually, the child is forced to poop (by nature, by laxatives, etc) and it HURTS to push out the big mass. So, the child becomes afraid to poop and fights off the urge next time too. Which means it hurts the next time she fully goes as well. And a terrible cycle is started.
    Take her to the doctor and see what her recommends. My daughter was 19 months when this started for us. She was put on a daily dose of Miralax and we started talking about poop to try to overcome her fear. This is a large problem and can cause physical changes in her bowels. Talk to her doctor ASAP.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• she has been to the dr. all that they did was have me give her a enema (which was horrible). i just dont know what to do. i dont want to have to keep giving her those.
    alldolledup2005

Answer by alldolledup2005 at 6:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2009