What would you like to see in the stimulus package?

This stimulus package is not to great now. If you where able to create a package now what would it look like?

SylviaNCali

Asked by SylviaNCali at 2:39 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• How about getting 1 month of rent paid?
    jamommy77

Answer by jamommy77 at 3:17 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• A 5 percent tax cut every working man and woman. For my family that would be around 220 a pay period in our pockets. A 15000 tax credit for buying a home this year and don't make anyone pay it back. Would jump start those people who are able to buy but are waiting. Up the Child tax credit to 5000. All these cuts would immediately help the middle class who are hoarding their money right now and rightly so. The poor already have help the rich don't need it. The middle class do need some relief and now. It would actually stimulate the economy. Cut taxes for business our corporate tax rate is one of the higher ones in the world. It would encourage business' to operate on our soil.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:34 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I don't care what's in it as long as it affects our economy's bottom line in the short term AND the long term with a balance of appropiate tax cuts (for small businesses and individuals), creation of jobs, and government spending that is spread across various sectors and industries.

Although I like tax cuts, I really don't think it would stimulate the economy unless it's a tax credit/cut that you would get if you bought something like a house - not straight tax cuts where you just keep more of your money. In this ecomnomy when we expect it to get worse before it gets better, people just save that money or pay bills (what did you do with your stimulus check last year?) That money does NOT get injected into the economy at all. That's why direct government spending is somewhat needed. It goes to directly buy goods...
    prettylob1

Answer by prettylob1 at 7:34 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• * Across the board tax cuts for individuals and corporations.

* Slash the excessive number of government jobs that don't do anything (ie: the assistant, to the
    assistant of the assistant manager of some obscure subdivision of some department!!!)

* Let capitalism do it's thing!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:25 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• You know what I would like? I would like for our country to sustain it's self. We have everything we need here, so stop importing from other countries, stop lending money and borrowing money. Help the Americans for once. We are no longer the greatest country on the planet, but a joke.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:25 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• sanctions on outsourcing friendly business practices and incentives to manufacture here
    -green tax for every mile materials travel outside our boarders
    -tariff on international toll free or in-house transfered calls
    -keep the COBRA relief, and extend it to what companies are paying into unemployment and payroll tax
    -tax cuts for employers and tax credits for jobs created and filled within 6 months.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:31 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• NotPanicking- I loke the tax cuts for employers creating jobs.

But I think across the board tax cuts won't work right now. Everyone would save the money they got instead of spend it. Plus, we've have tax cuts for many years now, they haven't really helped.

I would like to see a $15,000 tax rebate for anyone who buys a house this year. That would let us sell our house and buy a new one for sure!
    momtokate

Answer by momtokate at 9:16 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I'd be satisfied with a 10% tax cut. I want my money in my pocket. Right now Americans are hurting trying to pay their housenotes, bills, utilities and food. Many have already lost their houses because they are so far behind. The government has focused so much on the big guy while Americans slip further into debt. Even with a 10% reduction on their tax rates it will take months to catch back up and get to even.
    I like tax cuts for businesses also so they can feel safe hiring new employees and know they won't be looking at laying off in a year.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:25 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I would like it if they put back in the money intended for schools & school building improvements. In my state funding for education is always something they cut first. This means teacher layoffs and neglected building & supplies.

While I would love a tax cut I have to ask what services I would like to do without? Social Security for my Gram? Disability for my FIL? What services would you be willing to do without so you could get a tax cut?
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:19 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• personally I would use the money as grant money with strict stipulations as to the spending of it by companies or individuals.. first I would grant companies interesting in bringing back factories to America, or expanding to create long term jobs.. I would grant money to certain systems like welfare in order to reform it. I would grant money to trade schools for people on welfare, so they have options and ways to get out and succeed. However if the stipulations were ignored etc, the money would have to be returned with interest, and possible jail time to those that abuse it. This would not take a Trillion dollars. Probably half of that.. but IMO it's all our country needs.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:33 AM on Feb. 9, 2009