How can I get my husband off the computer and outside to play with our son?

My husband is a GREAT father, but when it comes to his free time he is constantly on the computer, whether it be playing a computer game or downloading somthing unimportant. I know he needs his down time but I need him to be involved and set a good example and show our son some outdoor life. I feel like I bitch constantly about it and I don't want to be that way, but how do I motivate my hubby to get more involved in wanting to teach our son that theres more to life than video games?

G-MansMama

Asked by G-MansMama at 3:49 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• You can't. Just accept it because you will become even more Bitchy if you keep thinking about what he isn't doing. He has to realize that he needs to do it on his own. It's crappy but true. (sigh) Mine is the same way. I just try and appreciate the things he "does" do and it makes it better.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 3:52 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Thats so true! I just get SO mad when I see him just sitting there and I'm running around with our son! I guess bitching at him just makes him even more mad at me and less apt to help out...
    G-MansMama

Answer by G-MansMama at 4:05 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Keep a log of the time he spends with his son vs. the time he's on the computer.

Make a cool graph.

Show him.

If, after seeing the evidence, he doesn't get it - well, there's your sign.

How can you be a great father when the majority of your non-work time isn't spent with your child?

And - when it's your own kid? You're not "helping out". You're parenting.

The "me time/computer time" can happen after the kid is in bed.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:13 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• shut the internet off
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:16 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• A little mouse would chew our internet cord. Uh oh...guess he will have to find something else to occupy his time.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:40 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• just pull one of the cables out like the keyboard or the mouse. then he has no choice but to do something else, and then you can explain to him how he needs to spend more like with his son before going on the computer and doing things unimportant when he could be with his child
    courtneyy

Answer by courtneyy at 9:51 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Those are all great ideas!!!
    G-MansMama

Answer by G-MansMama at 12:53 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Well my husband is like that too. He always play games and non stop. We always argue and argue about it everyday. What's best is that if he doesn't play it the whole day that's good. My mother in alw told me that as long he's home then it's okay. AS if he's not going out to much spending money. My mother in law told me a story about her cousin. This one time her husband always sleeps and don't work and do anything. sleeps all day long. she kept on saying why aren't you going out and always sleeping and not doing anything. then she always bitch about it so one day he got up and start going out from then. So he goes out non stop. So She saying why are you going out to much lately! I need you to stay home too. He doesn't care at all. He went out and cheated on his wife and have sex with other girls. She didn't know until she found out. it was to late. From on then they are divorce and nothing is left. but cries. so be careful
    __bbaaoo

Answer by __bbaaoo at 1:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2009