My neighbors annoying dog

My neighbors have a pit bull, that barks at any and everything! When she's in the backyard she barks at us or will bark at my dog, which just gets my dog riled up and aggressive, which is not her nature. My dog is very sweet and goes to work with me at the vet clinic regulary. When the neighbors dog is in their house she barks out the open side window. Our houses are about 30 feet apart so when I'm sitting in my livingroom I can hear that f--king dog barking at from what I can tell is NOTHING!
Who can I call? The police? Animal control? The town? I would love to just go talk to them like normal people but their crazy. Two of their grown kids gjust got back home after stints in jail for selling drugs out of their house and their mother was the one who called the cops on them. That's just the teeny weeny tip of the iceberg.

LadybugTash

Asked by LadybugTash at 6:26 PM on Oct. 7, 2012 in Pets

• you could try calling the authorities, complaining about disturbances, etc. see where that gets you..or maybe they can direct you to the proper office?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• Oh boy, lucky you. That would drive me nuts too. I think I would report it to the non-emergency police number. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• We have a neighbor dog like that. Normally, I would start with the Animal Control. However, we don't have them here, so we had to call the Police. Every time they come out to talk to her about her barking dog, it costs her $50. Evidently she got tired of paying it because the dog is much quieter now.
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 2:26 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

• Well not everyone is perfect, drugs fuck people up
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 6:44 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• Sounds like our neighbor's dog. That dumbass will bark non stop and my dog just lays there looking at it like it is retaded. I have called animal control and they came out once, but they said after that we would need to call the non emergancy number or go downtown and make a civil complaint. I hate that dog so much that I have even thought about getting some simply sleep just so he will sleep at night so we can get some peace n quiet. That dumb thing is barking right now as I type....
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 7:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• Report it to cops but nothing will happen. They wi tell them the neighbor called. All they do is show up ask them to try and quiet the dog. If you're complaining during non quiet times they will laugh in your face. And who cares that the mom turned her kids in IMO that's being a good mom.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 6:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• Harsh-I would agree that turning her kids in is good parenting, but the only reason she did was becsaue someone eles threatened to do it first. The drugs were an issue for 2 years before she did anything and trust me she knew. Her son was kicked out of school when he was 16 for dealing in school, he is now 19. And we have had to call the cops on her and her boyfriends for distruction of our property last summer. So there's no way she gets the Good Mom award for that.
    LadybugTash

Comment by LadybugTash (original poster) at 6:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• In my state, you can report nuisance animals to animal control. The first complaint, they will send a notice to the dog owner. The second time, they will send animal control officers to the house to speak to the owner. The third time, they can start pressing charges to get the owner fined or force the owner to give the dog up. At the third complaint, you can get signatures from your neighbors saying that they are disturbing the neighborhood, or you can get cell phone video (with time stamps) showing that the dog is barking excessively. We have had to report our neighbor. After the third complaint, the dog was gone. The guy worked nights and he had a dog door, so the dog would spend all night outside barking its head off. I think the guy just gave the dog up when he realized that it was causing him more trouble than he was willing to deal with.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:26 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• Also, in this state, it isn't about what time the dog is barking. It's about how much the dog is barking. Barking for 6 hours during the day is just as bad as barking during the night.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2012