RFID chips for students. How do you feel and would you allow this for your child?

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/education/article/Students-will-be-tracked-via-chips-in-IDs-3584339.php#ixzz1vsssNfl7

Northside Independent School District plans to track students next year on two of its campuses using technology implanted in their student identification cards in a trial that could eventually include all 112 of its schools and all of its nearly 100,000 students.

District officials said the Radio Frequency Identification System (RFID) tags would improve safety by allowing them to locate students — and count them more accurately at the beginning of the school day to help offset cuts in state funding, which is partly based on attendance.

Northside, the largest school district in Bexar County, plans to modify the ID cards next year for all students attending John Jay High School, Anson Jones Middle School and all special education students who ride district buses. That will add up to about 6,290 students.

The school board unanimously approved the program late Tuesday but, in a rarity for Northside trustees, they hotly debated it first, with some questioning it on privacy grounds.

Chip readers on campuses and on school buses can detect a student's location but can't track them once they leave school property. Only authorized administrative officials will have access to the information, Gonzalez said.

“This way we can see if a student is at the nurse's office or elsewhere on campus, when they normally are counted for attendance in first period,” he said.

Gonzalez said the district plans to send letters to parents whose students are getting the the RFID-tagged ID cards. He said officials understand that students could leave the card somewhere, throwing off the system. They cost $15 each, and if lost, a student will have to pay for a new one.

These chips are actually in their student ID cards.  What if the student forgets their ID at home?  $15 a pop isn't affordable in some homes.  Kids are forgetful.  I guess I am not seeing how this program raises revenue like they say it does.  I get how kids can skip school, but if the chip only tracks them while on campus and has no ability to track them off campus, how many kids are skipping class and staying on campus?  Do their teachers not take attendance?  It just seems like more money for another unnecessary program.

What are your thoughts? 

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 8:01 PM on Oct. 7, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Think pissed off teacher who doesn't believe someone didn't have their homework because their mother is sick and the student has to work full time after school, so they flip it on at 4:00 to see if the student is really at a job or at someone's house. Think creeper teacher obsessed with a student who uses it All. The. Time.
    --------------------------
    You are getting waaaaaay too sci-fi on the technology, NP. The tag only works when it is within a short distance from a reader, usually just a few feet. Some high frequency readers can go about 20 feet at best. Besides, the tag can only be read if the reader is tied to a database with housing student info, something only the school would have.

There is no way in this day and age a teacher could track the whereabouts of a student outside the school grounds.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:38 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• You're discounting wifi.

---------------
    Wifi does not read RFID. A reader must send out a charge that activates the RF antenna so it can be read. No batteries.

It would be easier to track kids with an app on their phone if you want to use wi-fi.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• I think alot of kids with misplace their ID. Also if they want to skip school couldn't they leave their ID in their locker? What does this solve?
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 1:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2012

• I'd rather see them stick one of those chips in every illegal they locate. I'd rather police the ones we know are doing something wrong instead of wasting a lot of money and/or punishing honest people instead of those doing wrong.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:39 PM on Oct. 8, 2012

• My work requires I carry my security badge at all times, and it has an RFID chip inside. If we leave it at home, we get a temporary badge. The main reason is to keep track of employees coming in thru the building. Some doors are restricted with permissions set up on the tags. I work in a building that houses a large amount of confidential information, so they want to know who comes in or out.

The fears that this would become a tracking device outside are unfounded. They won't be able to locate the exact position of a student, only the doors they pass thru that have a reader. These tags have been in use for over 40 years, and while effective, they don't have a big range on them. My DH is an RFID engineer, and I know a lot about readers.

The expense is another story. $15 is a lot for a lost id badge, especially for poor students.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:04 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• Why not swipe the card when entering the class room. Like a time clock. Every class nit just first period for attendance.
    and the teacher could over ride if the child is missing their card but is actually physically. There.
    I can see my child forgetting his card and getting onto it with the school about his attendance. Ugh..
    no miro chipping my kid ...
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 9:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• I wouldn't allow it for all the reasons already mentioned. I'd homeschool or move.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 9:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• You are getting waaaaaay too sci-fi on the technology, NP. The tag only works when it is within a short distance from a reader,

You're discounting wifi.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:43 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• Absolutely NOT
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• i see a lot of lost cards and a lot of pissed off parents who are being billed continually.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2012