Cats?

Do any of you have cats? How did the cat(s) react to the arrival of your newborn? I had two Siamese when my oldest daughter was born, but they were incredibly anti-social, low maintenance cats, and they didn't even flinch when Miette came home. Our cat now is a very high maintenance, very loving and friendly cat, and I'm afraid he'll either be jealous or overly friendly with the baby. Any advice?

prinzesstephi

Asked by prinzesstephi at 3:58 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My girls are great with my son! Even now that he is mobile. One of my cats even lets him "pet" her lol. She will walk up to him when he's playing and just let my son pet, love, pull, and tackle her. She loves the attention, and runs away when it gets too much, but she has never reacted in a negative way. My cats are very social and loving they adjusted great!
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 4:02 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• my cat thought everything we bought for Talon was hers before he came home from the hospital. When he finally came home, she kept her distance for a week or two. But then finally realized that mommy always had this new visitor in her lap and if she wanted to still get loves, she needed to come around and adjust to him being here. She adores him now, and tries to get him to play games with her and pet her. She'll share my lap with him, which is too cute! She doesn't get too close or lay with him if I'm not there, so I'm not worried about her smothering him.....good luck! don't forget to let your kitty know that you haven't forgotten them....just added onto the people that can love them!!!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 5:38 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• i have two cats, one very very social, and one only social with me. i just brought my son home on friday and was really nervous. i took his hat off and let them smell that and then set him on the floor. the cats walked circles around him for a little while. the very very social one was the one to not really notice. the one that is social only with me, loved him, walked right over to him smelling his hands and top of his head. the weekend went good, they dont really pay attention to him. if i have him sleeping in the pack and play though they will sit outside of it meowing up a storm, or sit on the table next to it and watch him sleep. but so far no problems. just make sure to try and give them the same amount of attention as theyre used to. good luck.
    walkthisway522

Answer by walkthisway522 at 7:23 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I have 3 (my mama cat had kittens in December...still have 2 left) and they are great with my daughters. My mama cat is VERY loving and affectionate. She took to the baby right away, and now, if she cries, she'll run down stairs and sit right by here side until I get her calmed down. I used to work at a Pet Hospital and the advice the Vet always gave expectant parents was to take a not so important blanket the baby has been wrapped up in after birth, and bring it home for the cat before the baby comes home. It'll help your cat get used to the baby's smell and help avoid any jealousy issues since the baby will be, in essence, familiar to her just by smell alone. Like the PP said, just make sure he's still getting some of your attention, and let him check out the baby within reason.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:15 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• i knew someone whose baby had a cold and when the baby was taking a nap she went to go check on the baby and the cat was laying on her face!!! i guess its part of there nature to kill there kittens when there sick so i guess thats what she was trying to do to her. and some cats carry disease in there claws and i would never risk a cat scratching my baby, let alone lay on his face:( i would suggest to get rid of your cat until your baby is older and cat push the cat away or tell you whats wrong if there not feeling well....... good luck
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 11:33 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Me and my guy live with eight cats (yeah, we have a lot!). When we first came home, the cats were shocked at this little tiny person that smelled so weird, but they got over it quickly. Now, four months later, most of them just keep their distance, but a two or three of the more adventuresome ones will let her pet them, and most of them don't go out of their way to avoid her anymore. It took a while for the cats to understand that they weren't allowed in her crib or bassinet, but now they get the message. Now the only one confused is our little one! She stares at the kitties in amazement, and she just loves the way they feel so soft.
    squeeblee

Answer by squeeblee at 11:49 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• PLease don't get rid of your cat! I've had cats with all of my kids, never a rpoblem. You just want to make sure the baby isn't ever alone with a cat or any other animal. We have 2 cats now and I'm due in a few days. No worries at all!
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:49 AM on Feb. 9, 2009