Cats and newborns?

Do any of you have cats? How did the cat(s) react to the arrival of your newborn? I had two Siamese when my oldest daughter was born, but they were incredibly anti-social, low maintenance cats, and they didn't even flinch when Miette came home. Our cat now is a very high maintenance, very loving and friendly cat, and I'm afraid he'll either be jealous or overly friendly with the baby. Any advice?

prinzesstephi

Asked by prinzesstephi at 3:58 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Pets

• Start ignoring the cat now so he gets used to not getting that much attention. And, make sure he doesn't make a habit of sleeping in the bassinet or crib.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 4:02 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• We've already made sure that he's not going in the nursery... that used to be his favorite "kick it spot" when it was still the computer room, but we've gotten him out of the habit of hanging out there. I can't just ignore him lol... I love him!
    prinzesstephi

Answer by prinzesstephi at 4:04 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Trust me...start to distance yourself from the cat now or the cat could retalliate! :o)
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 4:11 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Get rid of them for the sake of your child, They can't be trusted or watched all the time!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:49 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Wow anon, now we know why you choose not to put who you really are. People like you bug me, full of advice but not willing to say "hey I am the jack butt that was so rude"

My advice, when we brought our first baby home our cat did retalliate a bit. He didn't get into her crib or anything but instead he hung out in her carseat. Could have been worse. I let him, he had always liked her room also and the carseat became his safe place so to speak. I just took one of them sticky rollers to it before putting the baby in and away we went. You just have to be careful, let your kitty sniff at the baby when you are holding him/her or while in a bouncy seat, etc. Just watch and if kitty tries to jump up onto your baby then scold him. He will learn it will just take having an eagle eye on your part :o)
    taylorsmommy00

Answer by taylorsmommy00 at 5:31 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I have 2 cats. When we brought home our son they were very curious. One, who is very loving, would go up and sniff him. I was very firm with her and would tell her no. Personally, my feelings are that being of a curious nature, she was just checking him out. But, I was told to be careful because the cats can smell milk on the baby. Also, they wanted to be in the bassinet, on the changing table, in his car seat etc. Funny how they think everything is for them. Anyway, be careful when putting baby down for a nap, that the cat is not in the room just in case, especially when your baby is young and can't roll over. Oh, and personally, I think it's very important for you to show affection to your cat so he knows that your baby is not a threat. And don't forget to introduce them when baby comes home! Good luck!
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 8:35 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I had two cats when my kids were born, one anti-social, one social to the point that I would call it "needy". They both did absolutely fine when we brought the babies home. The anti-social one just stayed away from them. The needy one is only needy with me, he never tried to get close to the babies nor was he jealous. He would just wait until there was no baby in my lap to climb up, other than that he would sit next to me with his body leaned up against mine.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My cat sniffed my daughter...smelled her butt...looked at me like "hey lady this stinks change it!"...then sauntered down the stairs for food....
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 5:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• People that dont give their animals a chance should own an animal at all. or be on the pet section either!
    Anonymous

• I have two cats and when we brought home Alexa they came up to her, sniffed her and that was it. Charlie one of my cats will come up to me and rub my leg when Alexa is crying like "please make her stop".

PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 7:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2009