help, my five year old is overly sensitive

My five year old cries over EVERYTHING, and its not temper tantrums or an attention getter because she will cry all by herself. Sometimes I find her crying for no apparent reason. She will cry if it rains on her or if someone looks at her funny. She also has to have a specific type of socks and her clothes have to be just right or it bothers her. She doesn't like to show affection to people she doesn't know very well and even with aunts and uncles she has to be prompted to give hugs. When she is sleeping it has to be DARK not even a light from a clock can show. I have looked up differant disorders. I don't believe it is sensory processing disorder because she loves to finger paint and play in flour, sand and water. Loud noises do not scare her and she doesn't mind when people touch her. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be. The crying is driving me crazy. I don't know what to do.

Fairytalemomof3

Asked by Fairytalemomof3 at 4:00 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She could be a little OCD. It's somewhat normal for young children to be OCD...I'd talk to the doc about it. This could just be her gift and something to embrace!
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 4:05 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Just so you're aware, they can have SPD and still touch and be touched. It's about all the senses in any combination. Not saying that's what she has, just an FYI.....touch and sound are big ones in SPD, but it also involves sight, taste and smell.

I'd speak to the doctor about it since you seem to think there's a problem. Be proactive! From what you've written something does sound a little "off"...it might be nothing, but better safe than sorry! Then if you find she does have a challenge, you can get her some help!

Might I also recommend not pushing her to hug people? Relatives or not...if she's not comfortable hugging it's not really fair to force it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:27 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Sensory processing disorders have many shapes and forms. Have her evaluated by an OT. I have two boys who are pretty much day and night opposites but both have sensory integration disorders. When you ask "why are you crying" does she tell you a reason? Ask her "Ok, how does it make you feel?" I wonder if it is hormonal as well. If nothing else comes up, try checking her hormone levels. :( Please let us know how things are going.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Another question...is she sleeping properly? Is she tired? She may be having interrupted sleep and that will make you tired and weepy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I would take her to a doctor. Keep track of when she is crying and what she tells you when you ask her about it. Did this start all of the sudden or has she always been like this?

If I had to put a label on it, I would say she has anxiety. Almost everything you describe can directly be linked to anxiety. Anxiety can be linked to any number of things, but is very common in kids. Try keeping a strict routine and look up ways to lessen anxiety in children.

BTW, I would not press her to show affection to people she isn't comfortable with. This could set her up for problems. Just explain that she takes awhile to warm up. If people don't understand, that is their problem.
    yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I agree with some of the other responses. It sounds like she may have sensory integration sensitivities, which can take many different shapes/forms. It would be beneficial for both you and your daughter to make an appointment with an OT.

As for hugging aunts and uncles - I wouldn't force the issue. Have her say hi or bye, try handshakes, or high fives and leave it at that. As she gets older and develops stronger relationships with her family - she will eventually feel comfortable giving hugs and kisses.

Your daughter sounds like she has a slow-to-warm-up termperament and probably needs time and information to adjust. Both of my children have this temperaments. Also, do you spend time identifying and talking about emotions. It is really beneficial to help children identify what they are feeling and the possible causes. For instance, "You got wet today and you wanted to be dry. You feel sad."

Hope that helps
    Rachreads

Answer by Rachreads at 1:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Thanks guys for all your insight. I do always ask her when she is crying, why, and she never answers at all. I asked the Pediatrician about it and he just referred me to psych services. I would never force my daughter to hug anybody she didn't want to, I just ment that it would never be her idea alone to hug her grandmother or aunt. My oldest daughter has aspergers, she also will not show affection towards others besides mom dad and siblings. But no, daughter #2 has no other traits of aspergers this I have already thought of, it just doesn't fit. I described the behavior that I see at home to her teacher and she seemed shocked. The teacher said that she interacts well with the other kids, completes all her work proficiently and NEVER cries!? go figure, maybe it is an attention thing after all. I tried just ignoring the crying this week all together, so far it seemed to work a little.
    Fairytalemomof3

Answer by Fairytalemomof3 at 4:29 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Sounds like some Sensory Intergration Disorder to me..
    But they have something called PANDAS.. A lady on my group has a daughter with that...
    Come visit..
    SPD Mom's & their Sensational Kids
    thespookyone

Answer by thespookyone at 12:55 AM on Feb. 19, 2009