Supplements to get pregnant?

My husband and i have been TTC off and on for 2 years now and have had no luck. I read online some supplements that could help boost our chances of conception. Today i started taking
(2) 1000mg of Evening Primrose oil
(1) 400 I.U. of vitamin E
(1) 50 mg of Zinc
(1) 65 mg of Iron
(1) 100 mg of B6
(1) 800 mcg of Folic Acid
(1) 100 mg Co q-10

Do you think these could really help us with TTC?

forrestmomma

Asked by forrestmomma at 9:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2012 in Trying to Conceive

• I would compare that to a normal prenatal vitamin. You can buy prenatals over the counter, and doctors recommend them while you're TTC. I would be hesitant to load down with a bunch of different pills without talking to your doctor, even if they're easily purchased vitamins and supplements.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:23 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• I agree; talk to your doctor. Supplements can be helpful, but also dangerous if taken too liberally.

The other thing is, supplements may or may not help,depending on the reason you haven't conceived yet. Two years is long enough that if you haven't done so, you can get a referral to a fertility specialist. Don't put off going. Sometimes the solutions offered by the specialist are fairly easy to implement--track your cycles with an ovulation calendar, have your husband wear loose-fitting underwear to keep his sperm cooler. And if you have to move to the more invasive drugs and tests, at least you won't have spent a year taking supplements and dealing with a monthly broken heart each time you aren't successful. Been there, done that. No fun. So I'd say, ask your family doctor for a referral to someone who can help you.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:24 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

• Don't waste your money. Supplements don't do anything magic. See your doctor for a referral to a fertility specialist to find out why you are not getting pregnant - it could be you, it could be your husband, it could be a combination of both of you. Why waste any more time?
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:19 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

• talk to your doc. You could not be ovulating and need clomid. Easy solution
    teeg1

Answer by teeg1 at 8:05 PM on Oct. 25, 2012