Why is it that some believers of God feel it is required of them to make me believe?

Notice I only said some not all. I grew up learning and being told stories of God an anything related, just like many of us have. I don't entirely believe because there are too many unanswered questions. I need more proof other than the stories I've been told, which now seem like tall tales. So why is it that most believers, ridicule non-believers and seemingly force them to believe in God. Or better yet persuade them to. By putting them down for not believing and damning them to Hell. I think if you choose to believe or not it should be a personal choice and noone elses's concern. I don't believe God is the reason or cause of anything, rather I am by the choices I decide or the mistakes I make.

bemebebri

Asked by bemebebri at 10:15 PM on Oct. 7, 2012 in Religious Debate

• There are religions/churches that preach that the gospel should be spread ~ taught to others. I don't have a problem with that since people are going to believe what they believe regardless of what anyone says to them, or even how they live.

I do have a problem with ridicule, and I don't care whether it comes from believers or from non-believers. Just reading through the first two and a half pages of answers there was a lot of ridicule handed out, from people with several different beliefs. If you don't want your belief ridiculed, don't ridicule others. That lack of respect is the single biggest problem. Imo, if you believe what you claim to and feel it is right for you, there is no need to ridicule others. There is a difference between a spirited debate, questioning, and flat out making fun of someone because they believe something different.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:37 PM on Oct. 8, 2012

• Some people do anything for validation. The need for it outweighs whatever impact their actions have on others.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:19 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• Oh look, everyone who hasn't had the exact same life experience as mlinda is lying again
    *******************
    lmao-you read my mind. Although I think this ^ is a given at this point.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:22 PM on Oct. 8, 2012

• So why is it that most believers, ridicule non-believers and seemingly force them to believe in God.-

are you speaking from personal experience when you use the word 'most' and 'ridicule'...? because i've been a believer all of my life and i can most certainly say i'm not in your 'most' group and the only thing i ridicule anyone for is their own ignorance applied to my supposed behavior.
    also, no one has the power to force a belief on anyone else. that's just ridiculous to think so. (oops, was i ridiculing?)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• They get a free set of steak knives for every soul they steal save. ;)

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• Ignorance & disrespect, pure and simple. Those who are not trying to covert you get that you are untitled to your own beliefs just as they are. Just ignore the rest.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• Well I think some people read things differently than others. I read the Bible and understand the meaning of certain words that I am to spread the Good News. That can be by talking to teaching or even being an example. Others might read the same words and feel they must keep pounding away. Difference in interpretation. I know that you can not make anyone believe what they do not wish to believe. You can only expose them to the ideas and hope they will want more information. IMO.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• They also are afraid that you won't go to Heaven if you don't beleive- it's their way of trying to help you
    They believe it so strongly
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• some ppl take the "spread the word" command very literally and think that if they arent knocking on your door, warning you of hell, and/or letting you know how wrong you are, that they are not being good Christians.

some simply want you to be as happy as they are, but dont realize that beliefs are not a one size fits all kinda thing.

and then there are the ones who dont give a crap about what you believe, they think they are the best thing that has ever happened to this planet and if you dont agree with every word they say you are an idiot who is bringing down this country. sadly, these types are the loudest and make ppl think anyone sharing the faith is of this mindset.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:59 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

toddler tantrum

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:48 PM on Oct. 8, 2012