I was watching this movie..

.. and it had me thinking. Do you think you can believe in God and also believe that you have free will? If God is all knowing then he knows what you will do before you do it. How does he know what you will do if you don't know until you do it? What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• to keep someone from having free will you'd not allow them to make their own decisions. just b/c God knows what decisions ppl will make doesnt mean he affects those decisions or ppl's ability to make their own decisions. the future doesnt change b/c its never here yet to be changed...how would we know if the future has been changed or not? God isnt part of time so there is no past/present/future therefore he is all knowing, yet we have free will.

i dont necessarily think God knows everything...but the idea of knowing all & free will doesnt seem incompatible to me.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

• You're thinking that knowing the future equates to all your decision being predetermined. They are determined, predetermined and past determined by you. Where you're at in the time space continuum has no bearing. It is only predestined because you had the free will to make it so.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:14 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

• We had to watch The Game in philosophy today and that's what got me started thinking about this. That movie really got me thinking and I don't know what I think anymore lol.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:35 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

• If you're taking philosophy, you'll eventually cover the theorem that allows for this - it requires the deity to exist outside the concept of time as we know it. From its perspective, everything happens all at the same time, and all knowledge of everything from the beginning of time to the end becomes available to it simultaneously.

The downside is that means it cannot be all powerful, because it is powerless to intervene in those things, because it's already done. Meaning prayer is nothing more than a self-soothing ritual.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:32 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

• We have fulltime free will. The future is always changing and we don't ever know what is going to happen. Our free wills clash with other people's free wills and the one with the stronger will wins. It changes everything. Every possible decision you make affects many other people, in both obvious ways and ways we will never know could be.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 9:00 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

• ALLAH is the supreme power of this universe. HE knows everything that happen in future, present or past. You know that there are only two paths that is right or wrong. Now it is our will to choose the right path or we are adopting wrong way. ALLAH even knows that what we are choosing, right or wrong. Suppose that there are two glasses of water, one is crystal clear and other is muddy. Now it is our will what we choose. ALLAH knows that we choose. And if you take clean water, it is beneficial for you,and you know muddy water is harmful for you.
    kity-bity

Answer by kity-bity at 11:38 AM on Oct. 9, 2012

• God is not human, we as humans can't comprehend all His ways. We live on this earth and it's reality only---there is so much more, that our brains can't even grasp. It's all about faith :)
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 10:04 PM on Oct. 9, 2012

• http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/3018/jewish/Question-2-Robotism.htm

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:44 AM on Oct. 10, 2012

• That's a very complete explanation that I found in my religion. The way I also see it is that G-d knowing what we will choose doesn't mean it's not our choice. If I ask my 9 year old if he wants chicken or pizza, I can guarantee you he'll choose the pizza every time. Why? Because I know him and I know it's his favorite. But just because I knew the outcome that doesn't mean it wasn't his choice.
    And how G-d knows before we do? Well, He'svpitside the limitations of time and space. "Before" and "after" are concepts from OUR reality, but G-d exists outside both so He's perceiving everything happening everywhere at every point in time.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:50 AM on Oct. 10, 2012

• "We had to watch The Game in philosophy today and that's what got me started thinking about this. That movie really got me thinking and I don't know what I think anymore lol."

I saw it a long time ago, but from what I remember, he was simply placed in certain situations and those in charge knew what he was likely to choose in that situation. But that doesn't make his actions any less of HIS choice. He still could've chosen a different course of action every time. He had the capacity.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:52 AM on Oct. 10, 2012