I was watching this movie..

.. and it had me thinking. Do you think you can believe in God and also believe that you have free will? If God is all knowing then he knows what you will do before you do it. How does he know what you will do if you don't know until you do it? What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• You're thinking that knowing the future equates to all your decision being predetermined. They are determined, predetermined and past determined by you. Where you're at in the time space continuum has no bearing. It is only predestined because you had the free will to make it so.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:14 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

• to keep someone from having free will you'd not allow them to make their own decisions. just b/c God knows what decisions ppl will make doesnt mean he affects those decisions or ppl's ability to make their own decisions. the future doesnt change b/c its never here yet to be changed...how would we know if the future has been changed or not? God isnt part of time so there is no past/present/future therefore he is all knowing, yet we have free will.

i dont necessarily think God knows everything...but the idea of knowing all & free will doesnt seem incompatible to me.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

• I'm not saying anyone has influence over our decisions. I'm just saying that if we had free will the future would always be changing and no one would be able to know what will happen.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:52 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

• If you were psychic and knew your neighbor was about to check the mail box does that mean you had any influence over it. Knowing the future does not mean you influence it.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:31 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

• He knows when you are sleeping, he knows when you're awake. He knows if you've been bad or good, so be good for goodness sake....
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:02 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

• I don't think you can believe that God knows what will happen in the future and also believe that we have free will. It doesn't make sense.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:23 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• I'm not saying God takes our free will away. I'm just saying that if God is all knowing then our actions are predetermined and we have no free will. If you believe God is all knowing then how can he know something that will happen 10 years from now if we have free will? Our free will would be constantly changing the future and he would have no idea what would happen.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:22 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• Sure, plenty of people find belief in both completely compatible
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• So you don't believe God knows what will happen?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:16 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• We have free will all the time. I believe in God.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2012