Is it strange to be 35 and have no best friend?

I have been married for 10 years with a wonderful man and 2 kids, one 17 and one about to be 13. But as they grow more and more independent I find myself lonely and suddenly realizing that I have no real friends I can vent to...

UT_mom218

Asked by UT_mom218 at 11:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• Well, I'm over 35 and don't have one "best friend" in particular. But I have several women I feel close to. I would say take up a hobby you enjoy or volunteer for someplace you believe in. If you meet friends there, you'll already have something in common.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:54 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• I don't think it is strange, sometimes circumstances just don't bring people into our lives and the older we get we become more certain of who is worthy of our BF relationship. I am a SAHM who's kids are pretty well gone, and I find my list of friend has shrunk. Some are still busy with younger kids and don't have time for us bc they are both working and there time is very precious when not at work. So they don't have time for us. I have even gone out to do volunteer work for 12 years and no friendships have come from that either. If I'm not careful my internal dialogue becomes negative and I become sad. I have to work at being happy for what I have and realize that things could be worse. I also just keep trying not to become synical and look for new opportunities to meet people. I also treasure the good friend I have had for 4o years. I guess that kinda dates me!!
    candbtea

Answer by candbtea at 11:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2012

• I have good friends I can count on even though we don't see each other often. I have social anxiety issues and it makes it difficult for me to open up to new people. I'm 32. I don't have a friend a talk to every day or even once a week. I guess I do feel isolated sometimes.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:04 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

• I also do not have a female friend to vent to. I have DH who is my best friend. I have friends but not really close best friends.
    I am well over 35. The only advice I have to give is to get involved in something you enjoy.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:19 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

• I'm 44 and havn't had a best friend for almost 20 yrs- once I had kids...she quit coming around and whatnot-then we moved out of state and we barely ever talked anymore...I don't even have people I hang out with at all it's hubby-the teens and the laptop

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:39 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

• My husband is my best friends and then my Mom and my sister. I have never been a person to really get very close to people so it is not quite a concept that I understand. I like my space way too much!
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:43 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

• I'm the same way. I just put my family first and that ends up taking all my time. I do have my mom and my sisters.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:36 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

• Nope. I'm 40 something and I haven't had a best friend in over 20 years. I had one until we moved.... just never have met anyone I like in this area.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:40 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

• I'm 36 with no best friend. I think after woman get married they put more time towards their family. So it's not strange at all.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 8:44 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

• Nope. I don't have a best friend. But I'm also not a "venter" as in going to a third party to complain about a second party. Party #2 will hear it directly from me.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:43 AM on Oct. 8, 2012