Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Hai everyone;I need everyone's suggestion for this.Please

I am not ready to tell my name.I have a brother.My father is no more.His mother is still alive.So his property is divided in to 4.For my mom,brother,me and his mother.My mom is trying to change the property to mine and my brothers name.For that father's mothers sign is needed. Regitrar calculated the amount that is given to her.It is around 10 lakhs and we are ready to give that. But she is telling she will not sign it.If she died it will split to other's that means her other children will also get the share.And for us it is difficult to get everones sign for future purpose.She is telling she needs 50lakhs.Please tell me what to do fo this problem....

Answer Question

Asked by anonymousl at 1:49 AM on Oct. 8, 2012 in Relationships

Level 2 (4 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • i don't know what country you are in, but in US, you most likely would have to take it to court. she wants to sell her part to you(and rest of family). if the court ordered the land be appraised for value, you would know exactly how much it is worth, and then offer your father's mother that amount. if not, she has the right to keep it.
    most likely, you'll have to go to court over this.
    its not anyone's business why you wish to take her part from her, but it seems odd when anyone tries to rearrange things like this. your father left the land divided to all 4, not just the 3 of you. this is going to cause hurt feelings.

    Answer by dullscissors at 7:48 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

  • Okay, so if I am getting this right, she can either have what amounts to 10 lakes now, or your family will have to disburse that same amount to her beneficiaries when she dies? I don't know how you do probate in your country,but here a share is a share. For instance, say my grandparents die and leave an equal share of their estate to each of their 4 kids. Then my father dies so they am mend the terms to say that me and my siblings share my father's share in the estate. That still means that there is 4 shares and on on rhose is to be split between a few people. Her share shouldn't be more just because of her beneficiaries, they would just need to share on portion of the estate. Why is she saying that she wants 50 and why does she think she can get it if the registrar says she is only owed 10?

    Answer by QuinnMae at 8:43 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

  • Good Lord, I shouldn't try to type before having coffee.
    First, that should read 10 lakhs (assuming this is your monetary units).
    then, it should read "that still means that there are 4 shares and ONE of those is to be split between a few people." Meaning that if her heirs were entitled to her share of the estate you are separating now, her heirs would only be entitled to SHARE her one share of the estate. Say it's worth 40 and there are you, your brother, your mother and your grandmother. That would leave 10 (or the equivalent) to each of you. If she does not want to settle, her heirs will be entitled to share her original portion of 10 - regardless of how many heirs of hers there are. Now, if she refuses to settle and the estate consists of real property, if that property increases in value by the time she passes, then they will be entitled to a share of the newly evaluated estate. I don't know how it works there.

    Answer by QuinnMae at 9:50 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

  • using the term lakhs, you are most likely either in India, Sri Lanka Myanmar or Bangladesh or Pakistan. Given that, I am not sure how many of use understand enough of the law in any of those countries to be able to tell you what you might be able to do.

    The only reason I know this is my husband does some work in India.

    Answer by layh41407 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

  • Thanku for the comments. My Father didn't divide his property.The property is in father's name.So after his death it is divided in to 4.We are ready to give the share to her. For that also her signature is needed..

    Comment by anonymousl (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Oct. 9, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.