how can I get my cat off my changing table?

I don't mind if my cat sleeps on the changing table when I am not using it, but how do I get her to understand when I lay James down to change his diaper she needs to move for a few minutes?

jamesmommy12

Asked by jamesmommy12 at 7:19 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Pets

• If you want to keep her off, but don't want to do the spray bottle thing, cover the changing table with aluminum foil while you're not using it. Most cats don't like the feel or sound of it. Teaching her not to get up there at all is going to be a lot easier than trying to teach her when it's okay and when it's not.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 10:22 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• good luck...you shouldnt really let her sleep up there in the first place...cuz she thinks its hers now. i recommend a spray bottle.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 7:34 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• if u keep letting her lay there shes going to keep doing it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• your cat wont stop because you started it and i have to agree with the first answer, your cat really shouldnt be on the changing table... at all.. its suppose to be a clean place for your baby. and it cant be perfectly clean for the baby when your cat was on there.. get some really good spray to clean it.

sorry to be so harsh. i dont have anything against pets.. unless they are close to babies.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:49 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• put mouse traps up there at night. They'll stay away from it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Because cats use litter boxes--I would NOT even let her on the changing table!! That is just gross for the child. I would spray her every time I found her up there or close the door if possible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• The spray bottle is the best solution. After a few brisk squirts she will soon learn to stay off the changing table. Cats are trainable. Don't be discouraged. As for the posters who are a bit harsh with regards to the cat being on the changing table, give it a rest. I believe the woman already knows that the cat should not be on changing table. The squirt bottle is the answer as most cats don't like water especially when squirt in the face. Another solution would be to keep cat out of baby's room if changing table is in the room. Just keep the door closed. Hope this helps.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 1:11 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• To equus---she said in her POST that she didn't MIND if the cat were on it when the baby wasn't--read it a bit better before you chastise anyone!!!

Anonymous

• Just because she doesn't mind, doesn't mean that she doesn't know it is a problem. She realizes the problem now and is trying to fix it. It amazes me how much an anonymous person has to say when they are anonymous. All I am saying is give the woman a break, she is trying to fix the problem now.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 9:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2009