Weaning a special needs child from the bottle

It's very ingrained in my 2 year old's routine and it's very much a comfort object. He is autistic so big routine changes don't work well for him and he already has the stress of Mommy and Daddy not being together right now plus we have the new baby coming in a few months. So with all the moving around I kind of wanted to keep as much of his routine consistent as possible. I don't want to stress him out to the point of self injury and I'm really worried about taking the bottle away from him just to pull it out for the new baby in like 2 months.
So I just don't see the your a big boy now talk working but I know I have to take it away eventually.

Any ideas on doing this transition slowly like over 6 months? I'm serious though a talking to him about how bottles are for babies or the bottle fairy won't work.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 9:14 AM on Oct. 8, 2012 in General Parenting

• I would speak to his therapist about what the best way to do it would be. I am sorry you are having so much to deal with right now.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:19 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

• Try the sippy cups with the silicone insert in the mouth piece so he has to suck like a bottle but it's really a cup. Talk to him about being a big boy and an older brother. Work it up to make it sound cool. Make him feel important and find something easy that he can do once the baby comes. Even if it getting you a clean diaper or handing you a wipe. When the baby is born get him a "big brother" gift. He will see people bringing presents for the baby and will feel left out. Make sure there is stuff for him to get, even if it's from the Dollar store.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:23 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

• Sippy cups with silicone mouth pieces might work.

I would also use social stories with pictures to help.

How severe is the autism? I am an autism consultant (as well as the mother of an autistic child) but I don't know what else to offer you without having more information.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:51 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

• I have a daughter who has Down Syndrome. We kept the breakfast bottle until she was well past 3. As she was getting ordinary cups, mugs, glasses (we never used sippies) from about a year onward she was competent with them. When we decided to stop the bottle we explained that it was a big girl step. We got rid of them in one go and never looked back. It was seamless.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 11:42 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

• My daughter is not special needs but she drank a bottle until she was 3. The way I got her to quit was her dad and I started telling her about 3 months before her 3rd birthday that after age 3 no bottles were allowed it was a rule. It worked. After she turned 3 she never asked for it again.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 1:06 PM on Oct. 8, 2012

• My oldest (is on the spectrum) and my youngest (who is VERY stubborn) were both attached to their bottles. What I did is this, I took them to the store and had them look at sippy cups and pick out a special one. Then at bottle times I would water down the bottle and offer both the bottle and the cup. Each day I kept adding more water/less drink to the bottle. I also used a reward chart- and each time they chose the cup (and used it instead of the bottle) they got a sticker on the chart, and when they had X# of stickers on the chart they got a reward. I would also keep talking about how he is a big boy now, and encourage him to give his bottles to the baby on the way.
    Good luck!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:17 AM on Oct. 10, 2012

• contact therapist...
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2012

• I think Robin covered it pretty well ! ^^^
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 6:16 PM on Oct. 28, 2012