warm tea for a toddler?

I know its a little unorthodox, but I was wondering if it is safe to give my 15 month old warm decaf. tea to ease her sore throat and chest congestion, she has what i had a few days ago and warm tea really helped to soothe it for me so it would help her if it is safe. I will probably be taking her to the dr. as well just to make sure its isnt anything more than a chest cold (if steam baths, vaporizers, and saline drops dont work 1st, lol) ...... has anyone tried tea before? it cant be too harmful can it?

chipper87

Asked by chipper87 at 7:53 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• of course you can give your baby tea. sorry, but i dont know what decaf is (german here)

i give my daughter specific baby tea (fennel), since she is 2 months old.

if you dont have a chance to get specific baby tea, then use something that has absolutely no caffeine in it. green tea isnt that great either.

What also helps with a sore throat is warm (whole) milk with honey ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:58 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• yes i used to give it to my DD w/ splenda and honey (decaf of course) so she woulnt get hyper it never had any adverse effects for me
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 8:10 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• sweeten it with a little honey and some lemon. Chamomile tea is actually apple tasting. Warm some apple juice/water. I personally wouldnt give milk for a sore throat or give splenda to anyone let alone a child :).
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:33 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I would hold off on the lemon unless you've already tried her on citrus fruits. My son has a NASTY reaction to citrus...and if she's already sick you won't know if it's the citrus or the virus......

Just a thought...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:38 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I agree with a previous poster, chamomile tea is a good choice, and since she's over a year (if I remember correctly!), sweeten it with a little honey, and lemon if she has no allergies or anything and/or she's had citrus before. And I also agree, no milk for sore throats, and no splenda for anyone! haha. I know there are some teas that kids shouldn't have, but chamomile is perfectly fine. There are some teas out there that an be dangerous for kids, so be sure to do research if you want to give her anything besides chamomile.
    AudMama

Answer by AudMama at 12:40 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My son loves a cup of Decaffeinated milky tea in the mornings with his brekkie. We are English so we drink a lot but he only has the one cup. As a baby I would give him Camomile to sooth him and help his digestion.

notquiteMartha

Answer by notquiteMartha at 12:42 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• All i had here was apple cinnamon and regular old decaffeinated black tea, so i just warmed her up some of the decaf black tea, her dr told me no honey until age 2 so i skipped that and didnt even sweeten it... (but i drink splenda... is there something harmful about it i dont know?) she didnt drink too much of it, her dad took her in the bathroom earlier and ran the hot shower and vapor bath then she threw up some clear mucus looking stuff, im a little worried, but i think i am going to give it a little longer.
    chipper87

Answer by chipper87 at 12:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• DO NOT GIVE YOUR BABY HONEY AS IT IS NOT SAFE BEFORE 1 YR. DUE TO THE RISK OF BOTULISM.
    notquiteMartha

Answer by notquiteMartha at 12:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2009