My baby spits up a lot!!Should I keep trying to switch his formula or just stay with the one we are on.I've tried 2 diff. ones that upset his stomach.He is not fussy or gassy he doesn't even seem to notice when he does spit up.Anyone else have this iuue?

Derekt1

Asked by Derekt1 at 8:10 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you hold him upright after he eats? Maybe that's the problem. Can you get donated breastmilk or relactate? It's much better for him & easier to digest.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Yes I keep him upright for atleast a half hour. He will still spit up like 2 hours later.
    Derekt1

Answer by Derekt1 at 8:14 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My daughter spit up a lot the first year, her sphincter valve wasn't fully developed and I was told as long as she was still gaining weight she was fine.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:15 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Sometimes it takes alot of switching before you know for sure, keep trying and make sure you burp the baby every so many ounces. GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:25 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• How old is he? I my daughter spit up all the time! The doctors were never concerned with it because she was gaining weight ok. But i was not happy. Every time she ate she spit up! I had an upper GI test done and everything, it was all normal. We switched her formula 6 time...6 times! and still spit up. finally at 6 months i tried 4oz of 2% milk and she didnt spit up! I immed. switched her, for 2 weeks i would do 4oz form and 2 oz milk for the 1st week, and then 4oz milk and 2oz form. Then the 3rd week it was straight milk, NEVER had a problem again! and the doctor told me if she was keeping it down it was better than her spitting all her formula back up! (i thought i was going to get yelled at by her dr) but they told me to continue giving her milk, she was getting more nutr. from that then from nothing! Whatever you do remember your mom and you know whats best! GL, i would try a different kind though!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 8:29 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Is he just spitting up "some" or are we talking a few ounces? If it's just that some is always coming out...that's more normal. If it's a couple of ounces worth...keep an eye on it.

You can try feeding fewer ounces more often, keeping upright (I know you're doing that), burp after every 2 ounces......

Remember that when you switch formulas it takes about 2 weeks to know if it's going to make a difference...one to get out of their system and another to see if it's going to make that difference or not....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:31 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Have you talked to the pediatrician about it? Some babies have reflux, and if that's the case, your dr can maybe offer some suggestions. Keep in mind, too, that it may *seem* like he's spitting up everything you fed him, but a lot of it is saliva and digestive juices, so it's not as much actual formula as it seems to be.
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 8:34 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I would def. talk to her Dr. about it. My son did spit up A LOT b/c he had reflux. He too was gaining weight, but they still had me put medicine in his bottle and had me add a little bit of cereal to help keep it down. Just talk to the Pediatrician and they will guide you.
    huntannakay

Answer by huntannakay at 8:37 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• my daughter was like this. we tried 7 different formula's, finally we found one that worked and we had to take her to a GI specialist. they found she had Reflux. they put her on some medicine for about a year and it really helped. but now, within the past 6 months or so, she's having trouble swallowing food and spits almost everything she eats back out. no matter how small i cut it or how soft it is she does it. we have to take her back to the specialist. her doc said she may have a very sensitive gag reflex or her reflux has come back. we tried her on the medicine again but the poor thing god diarrhea so bad and she was spitting up more, that we had to stop it. hopefully there's nothing seriously wrong... but i'd call your doctor. if he gained weight alright? if he's gaining weight, he's getting enough but to be safe i'd take him to the doctor. good luck ;-)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Switching formula's can cause more spitting up and gas. You do need to stay on one for at least 2 weeks to see if it's works. I think all the advice given above is perfect as well.
    Anonymous