Rash on belly and arms?!

I am 33 weeks pregnant today and this rash wont go away on my arms and belly! I itch like crazy. I been putting lotion on my arms and belly. I take zyrtec for the itching and allergies, and no RELIEF! I told my ob like a week ago...and she just told me it was normal and to put lotion on it and contunue(sp) taking zrytec. I dont understand why it wont stop itching!

jessduncan77

Asked by jessduncan77 at 8:32 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• do you happen to be having a boy?
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 8:55 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• yes I am having a boy
    jessduncan77

Answer by jessduncan77 at 8:57 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• the rash you are experiencing sounds like PUPP here is some info http://dermatology.about.com/cs/pregnancy/a/puppp.htm very common in woman that are having boys!
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 8:58 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• The rash of PUPPP almost always begins in the stretch marks (striae) of the abdomen. It does not involve the belly button distinguishing it from other common rashes of pregnancy. The rash itself consists of small, red wheals in the stretch marks that grow together to form larger wheals on the abdomen. Sometimes the rash can include small vesicles. Over the next several days, the rash can spread over the thighs, buttocks, breasts, and arms.

The rash is very itchy, or pruritic, hence the name. This condition is harmless to mother and baby, but can be very annoying. It lasts an average of 6 weeks and resolves spontaneously 1 to 2 weeks after delivery. The most severe itching normally lasts for no more than 1 week.

Since 70% of women with PUPPP give birth to boys, a new hypothesis is that male fetal DNA acts as a skin irritant.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 9:00 AM on Feb. 9, 2009