What would you do???

My son is 8 months old..he has his first friend who is 1. They have had a few play dates and each time they do hang out, my son comes home doing something new because he learned it from his buddy! All that he's learned so far has been great..how to climb into his chair, climb the stairs, clap 2 toy's together in each hand...crawl early at 5 1/2 months. BUT now his friend has decided to hit in the face in front of my son. Who has now decided to slap me in the face..NEVER did this before the other day when he saw his buddy do this to his mama. What do you suggest I do, they do also play well together, some times he hit's my son too..but he does get in trouble for it. I just want to know what the right thing to do is, I don't want my son learning these negative things, but he needs to interact with another child, plus she's my good friend and this is my time out too!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could look at it as a good thing. If he doesn't learn what hitting is then he cannot learn that it is not ok to do. I would recommend a firm "no" then show him something that is acceptable followed by praise. I also suggest that your facial expressions are diffinative. Babies pay very close attention to facial expressions and body language for your emotions. Good luck.
    tough_jewel

Answer by tough_jewel at 9:43 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Hmmmm........Are you sure your 8 month old saw a child one time hit and he is doing it now? Its pretty common for babies to hit you in the face. Babies love eyes. Your holding them and your face is just so "there". I wouldnt blame it on the one year old. Gently take babies hands and tell him "we dont hit".
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:47 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I've done that, I said NO and said no hitting. He ALWAYS does something new that his friend was doing right before when he saw him. It never fails, he's a copy cat big time! He see's his buddy do something, and he's right beside him doing it too! My son learns really fast, by watching..he's very observant!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• It is pretty common for babies to hit like that. Just be consistent in gently moving his hands away from your face and telling him we don't hit. I think it's just a stage they all go through.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:52 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• All babies start this no matter if they see others do it or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• No not all babies do that. I have 3 kids and only 1 did it. you justnhave to keep teaching your child right and wrong and when that child hits yours and the other mother says nothing you just tell that child no, hitting is not nice.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Feb. 9, 2009